Thread: Call For Help: "Update Configuration during Startup Lock"

Exclamation Call For Help: "Update Configuration during Startup Lock"

Big problem here (but then again.. it's usually a big problem when it's got a title with the word: Help.

This afternoon, I tried to install Morrowind to my computer. It went well, but then it asked me if I wanted to install DirectX v.8.1, so I said: Yes. Then the whole thing asked to be rebooted and since I have no choice, I did; Wouldn't be able to play the game, otherwise.

30 minutes later and the splash screen for Windows ME is still running.. so I rebooted and waited another 5 minutes. After a while, I got irritated and pressed [Esc] key (after another reboot), and here's what it said:

Please wait while Setup updates your Configuration files.
    This may take a few minutes.

(Then it keeps repeating this..):
    Windows could not upgrade the file %1 to %2.

I'm pretty annoyed at the fact that I had also forgotten to make a Startup Disk.. so now I'm stuck. I'm hoping that I can get some help from some veterans.. because I am just absolutely cluless right now as to what to do ^_^;;

It'd be easy to just reformat the whole thing..but I have some files in the computer that I had not backed up... so I would appreciate some help in trying to bypass the 'upgrade' somehow...

Please hear my plea.

--SystemError619

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Follow the instructions in the MS kb article here. And it should fix your problem.

Let us know if it works.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Gonna be tough...

It's going to be hard renaming the file since I cannot get past the error message, itself.. How will I be able to load Windows, first?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    when it boots up keep pressing f8 and then go to the safe mode option...when you get your desktop go to programs>>>access>>sys tools restore and restore to before you made the change.

I've already tried that method (actually..all 4 methods that pop up when you press F8.. but it always gives me the same error message). Of course they show the splash screen, but when I press [Esc], that's what it shows..

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    if the solution is too difficult can i suggest you install windows over top of itself and you will still have all your files on your computer.
    if you choose this direction you should boot to dos and deltree windows to delete the windows installation and install as normal.

sorry for the lame fix but it is always good to know the options

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

This computer's just RIFE with difficulty..

The computer I'm having a trouble with is a Compaq..hehe. The only option I have left (if I can't find any other way) is using 'factory reset' using the disc that came with the computer. Thanks for the recommendation, but are there any other options?

Do you have the Windows ME disc?

Nope..just the disc that Compaq provided.

How about booting with dos and then renaming the file?

Just goto www.bootdisk.com Then download the appropriate bootdisk.
    When it boots change the drive to the C:\> Then CD to the appropriate directory and Rename the file.

Hope it helps you

Sorry for not having replied for a day and a half. I tried finding the wininit.ini file, but the search doesn't come up with any results. I'm trying System Erestore right now (Yes, for some reason, the comp started back up, but the networking isn't working..for some reason and it still displays the error message, but now loads to windows).

The problem with System Restore, though is that the progress bad isn't moving at all.. I've waited 5 minutes now.. maybe I should wait more?

Originally posted by SystemError619
    I tried finding the wininit.ini file, but the search doesn't come up with any results.
    You need to make sure you can view system files.

Open Windows explorer and go to Tools > Folder Options.
    On the view tab put a tick next to "show hidden files and folders" and also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" (you'll get a warning message,but ignore it and click yes).Then click Apply.

Now do a search for the file or go directly to it.
    It should be located in your Windows folder C:\WINDOWS
    Right-click the Wininit.ini file , and select Rename.
    Rename it to Wininit.old, and then press ENTER.
    Reboot your machine,and the error message should now be gone.