Problem Description: I installed "Solidworks 2001 Plus" on Jan 18 2003. The installation was successful and the program ran fine. I decided to uninstall the program from within its own program but it does not have an uninstall option. I attempted to remove the program from the"ADD/REMOVE" program in control panel. I received an error message stating it could not find "swuninst.exe" to execute the removing of the program. I performed a complete search for all files and folders for "swuninst.exe" from "My Computer".

NOTE: Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce the steps to re-create the problem since the "ADD/REMOVE" feature under control panel should have worked.

I went into explorer and manually deleted all the files within the "SolidWorks" folder under "Program Files" then I attempted to delete the empty file but received the error message: "Error deleting File or Folder - Cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk." I noticed when I clicked on the "properties" for this folder, the data under the "General" tab was completely blank in all fields and all attributes de-selected. I also tried to rename, move and delete this folder but was unsuccessful.

Steps I took attempting to delete this folder:

1. I re-installed the program but tried to install it in a new folder with a different name. After the second installation, it installed the program into a second folder with the same identical name, I.E., "SolidWorks". NOTE: Explorer showed two folders with the same identical name.

2. I tried to delete this folder by running WIN XP in "Safe Mode" - but was unsuccessful.

3. Edited the registry by deleting all instances of: "SolidWorks", "Sld*, ETC - but again, no luck.

4. I tried to delete the folder from a DOS command prompt but not from within Windows.

5. I ran Norton Windoctor, I used a registry cleaner and I ran a complete Scandisk - but no luck in attempting to permanently delete this folder.

My computer runs fine with this "snafu" and I do not wish to perform a clean install or boot from the WIN XP CD and try to perform a repair - unless this would be a recommend option from Microsoft.

Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Dick Coutu [01/20/2003]

Problem Area: Other
Frequency of problem: Happened Once
Operating system / version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional - 5.1.2600
Computer manufacturer and model: Dell Computer Corporation, Inspiron 7500
Processor model and speed: I586II, 751 MHz
Memory (RAM): 523.76 MB