Thread: Cannot Delete File Or Folder [Error Message]

Angry Cannot Delete File Or Folder [Error Message]

Problem Description: I installed "Solidworks 2001 Plus" on Jan 18 2003. The installation was successful and the program ran fine. I decided to uninstall the program from within its own program but it does not have an uninstall option. I attempted to remove the program from the"ADD/REMOVE" program in control panel. I received an error message stating it could not find "swuninst.exe" to execute the removing of the program. I performed a complete search for all files and folders for "swuninst.exe" from "My Computer".

NOTE: Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce the steps to re-create the problem since the "ADD/REMOVE" feature under control panel should have worked.

I went into explorer and manually deleted all the files within the "SolidWorks" folder under "Program Files" then I attempted to delete the empty file but received the error message: "Error deleting File or Folder - Cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk." I noticed when I clicked on the "properties" for this folder, the data under the "General" tab was completely blank in all fields and all attributes de-selected. I also tried to rename, move and delete this folder but was unsuccessful.

Steps I took attempting to delete this folder:

1. I re-installed the program but tried to install it in a new folder with a different name. After the second installation, it installed the program into a second folder with the same identical name, I.E., "SolidWorks". NOTE: Explorer showed two folders with the same identical name.

2. I tried to delete this folder by running WIN XP in "Safe Mode" - but was unsuccessful.

3. Edited the registry by deleting all instances of: "SolidWorks", "Sld*, ETC - but again, no luck.

4. I tried to delete the folder from a DOS command prompt but not from within Windows.

5. I ran Norton Windoctor, I used a registry cleaner and I ran a complete Scandisk - but no luck in attempting to permanently delete this folder.

My computer runs fine with this "snafu" and I do not wish to perform a clean install or boot from the WIN XP CD and try to perform a repair - unless this would be a recommend option from Microsoft.

Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Dick Coutu [01/20/2003]

Problem Area: Other
    Frequency of problem: Happened Once
    Operating system / version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional - 5.1.2600
    Computer manufacturer and model: Dell Computer Corporation, Inspiron 7500
    Processor model and speed: I586II, 751 MHz
    Memory (RAM): 523.76 MB

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez.
    Did you install Solidworks from a CD or a self extracting file?

If you installed from a CD,the "swuninst.exe" will be on there.
    Some programs by default do not copy the uninstall file to your HDD,and to remove the program requires the CD to be inserted in order to access the relevant file and complete the uninstallation.
    Hence,that is why you may be getting the "cannot read from source file or disk" error, because the CD is not in the drive.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Get your self a program like Add/Remove Plus 2003 it should be able to fix your problem. You must have had an install problem the first time you installed Solidworks, didnt initiate the uninstaller.
    heres a link and some details for this program

LINK:

Add/Remove Plus! 2003 is a solution designed for all Windows operating systems (Windows XP/2000/NT/Me/98/95) that offers an easier and better way to uninstall programs you no longer want on your computer.
    When you want to uninstall a program, all you have to do is to double click the "Uninstall Programs" icon on your Desktop. Add/Remove Plus! 2003 will display each program that is installed on your computer and help you quickly find the program you want to remove. Then all you have to do is highlight the program name and click "Uninstall". Add/Remove Plus! 2003 will run the uninstall routine and make sure the program is removed from the list. This way users can easily get rid of all unnecessary programs for good.
    Add/Remove Plus! 2003 helps you maintain a cleaner computer and a cleaner registry. The product is also intelligent enough to indicate the programs that have been already removed from your computer, but were left behind in the list by misbehaved uninstallers. These programs can be removed from the list to reduce clutter and make it easier to find and uninstall other programs in the future.
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

I've had some luck with this little free utility.

GiPo@MoveOnBoot

Copies, moves or deletes files and folders on the next system boot. The utility is very useful when the user needs to replace or delete files which are locked by other applications, loaded into the memory or just cannot be changed until next system boot.

http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/fileutil/index.htm

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    thanx thor.
    I will try that when I get home,
    I was trying to remember the name of that program.
    I have some weird files that wont delete and i want to try this program to see if it can do the trick
    when i try to delete the files it says not found etc.....
    It could be some type of trojan. 30kb

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    that program deleted the stubborn files!

nice one
    this is going in my utillity box

cheers
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I love it when one users problem leads to another users solution.

BB