January 21st, 2003, 13:43 PM
"error occurred while checking spelling" - [FIXED]
The SUBJECT: is the error message I have been getting in the last week when I SEND in Outlook. I RESTOREd to a date prior to getting this message but no luck. Is a module corrputed? No viruses - scanned twice with 2 virus scanners. If I need to reinstall Office 2002 (running on Win XP), how do I begin? Kathy
January 21st, 2003, 14:01 PM
Welcome to the board kathy
Just reinsert your Office 2002 disk and choose the repair option
"Repair Office - Restore your Microsoft Office to its original state" and choose next then try the "Detect and repairs errors in my Office Installation" and then hit the Install button and see if this fixes the problem with your intial installation.
hope this helps
January 21st, 2003, 14:05 PM
I don't know if you've tried this.
Follow the instructions in the MS kb article Here.
You probably need to re-install the Proofing Tools,which may require you to load the Office CD.
January 21st, 2003, 15:01 PM
I reinstalled Office. thanks for your help. Kathy
November 14th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Sollution to "Error occurred while checking spelling"
Hi. I was getting the same error for a particular user on Outlook 2003. The problem was only happening for her profile. I could log in and it would work fine. If I created another Outlook profile while logged in as this user, I would still get the same problem.
The way I fixed the problem was to go into the Tools>Options>Spelling Tab, then change the International dictionaries to another language (eg. I changed it to English (UK). I then opened up a new e-mail and did a spell check. This worked without bringing up the error. I then went back and changed the International dictionaries back to it's original language. In my case English (Australia). Then tested it and it worked again. Hope this helps. :-)
November 14th, 2005, 16:44 PM
Old and Cranky
Thanks for the suggestions and Welcome to Techzonez.
June 12th, 2006, 14:25 PM
Wow, I haven't posted here in so long I forgot I had an account until I tried to create a new one!
Anyway, just wanted to update this thread and note that I had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad CUSTOM.DIC file. When you open it and look at it, it should be pretty apparent by the way the text looks. Just copy one over from another user's profile and you're all set.