Thread: Network/Server/Computers allowed ?

Question Network/Server/Computers allowed ?

I have setup a small network at home for the neighborhood kids to play games together using 1 server and I cannot get any more than 12 computers to see the server and understand that I have to go to Win2K server to have more computers.
    The last computer can be anyone it just has to be something that will only allow so many computers on 1 server.
    Anyone no if there is a registry hack or work around to be able to get more to see the server.
    Win 2K Pro, Win98 clients
    Mark N Dunaway

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    What is your internet connection like? DO you have a T1/T3?
    How are you setting up this server? Are you running a site that lets users connect to your PC via HTML? Are you FTP serving? Or are you hosting a LAN game so that other users connect to your game server?

If it is the game server that you are hosting, what game in particular? Most likely you need to run it as a dedicated gaming server if that is the case. And if you cannot get more than 12 in the game, then that means either
    A. The game might need a patch
    B. Your bandwidth won't support that many players
    Or
    C. Your operating system is not optimized to accept that many connections at once.

If it is C. then I would say you need to upgrade to a server OS. Windows 2K server or advanced server would do.

Once you answer a few of those questions I think we can help more.
    BB

Lightbulb

Thanks for the reply but it has nothing to do with internet,it is all intranet and no its not the game.
    Once the last computer is mapped to the server 1 more computer can not see the shared drive,C1 Or C2
    Shut down 1 computer and then the one that could not see the server can then see C1 or C2 on the server.
    When the 13TH compter is logged on and can not see the server it can see all of the other computers on the network.
    This is one the the great experts,I just hope someone can help.
    Then maybe I can use my knowlege to help someone with another problem.
    This is one that has to do with Micro and how many compters can be used without spending more MONEY.
    Mark
    Mark N Dunaway

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I just don't get it. Sorry. In your original post you said:

I have setup a small network at home for the neighborhood kids to play games together using 1 server
    So I thought maybe you were trying to do a LAN gaming thing, over the net...

Thus my question was:
    Or are you hosting a LAN game so that other users connect to your game server?
    I understand that you want to connect a 13th PC, to your Host machine which is running windows 2000 Pro.

I thought you were trying to organize a gaming fragfest. And that is why I suggested you to upgrade the game, and run the game using the games' built in dedicated server..

For example, I sometimes host games using MOHAA. I run MOHAA using MOHAA's dedicated server program.
    I then get online using a second PC, and join my server that is running on my network. I have hosted games with up to about 40 people. After that my connection cannot take any more..

Well since you are more interested in networking the PCs, and you cannot get the 13th PC to view the server..

Have you applied any of the service packs to your Windows 2K Pro OS? Maybe it will help, maybe not.
    Service Pack downloads for the windows 2K family

Next,
    What protocols are you using to network these PCs? Could be a protocol issue.

Have you tried connecting a different version of windows for the 13th PC? YOu said that the client PCs were all windows 98.

As a semi- solution to this, you could try Windows Server 2003 RC2 for free:

Windows 2003 Beta

Try that out, if it works, then you have an alternative to what you are using now.

BUt first I would try to update Windows 2k pro with the service packs, if you haven't already.

Then I would try to get a different PC with an OS besides 98 to connect to your INtranet network. If that doesn't work then you know it is a limitation or a problem with windows 2000 Pro.

If you are trying to just share files, why not run a FTP server app like:
    CUTE FTP

BulletProof Server

Or some other serving program. It will allow you to share directories, files, etc..

I use BPS and have successfully had about 20 clients connected, some connected more than a few times (phishead hehehe)
    and it works flawlessly.

Hope that info helps.
    BB

Cool

Thanks, BB
    Allot of good information.
    I am running static TCPIP and would like to not run a BETA or any other software ( just have it clean ) but I was hoping that someone would know if its just in the code of 2K and thus force anyone whom needs more to use 2K server.
    I have all of the updates and patches installed and I thought someone may know if there is a registry hack for 2K but prob. this issue of not being able to get 1 more computer is in the code.
    I have searched all of the network settings and protocols and found nothing.
    Thanks so much its hard to get all of the information out.
    Also if anyone else has any suggestions
    Mark
    Last edited by MountainLion; January 31st, 2003 at 04:26 AM.
    Mark N Dunaway