Thread: 56k to cable

Lightbulb 56k to cable.. IT IS A DONE DEAL, check it out..

I need a little help. I want my girlfriend to be able to go through my cable internet connection. She lives about 15 miles from me. She only has dial up. I am going to put a modem in my second computer so she can connect to it and then to the net. Both boxes are running XP home. What I need is the software to make this happen. Of course it should be free ware (do not want to break the bank on my girl friend). Any ideas?
    Last edited by Tinker; May 7th, 2002 at 03:25 AM.

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar

Re: 56k to cable

Originally posted by Tinker
    I need a little help. I want my girlfriend to be able to go through my cable internet connection. She lives about 15 miles from me. She only has dial up. I am going to put a modem in my second computer so she can connect to it and then to the net. Both boxes are running XP home. What I need is the software to make this happen. Of course it should be free ware (do not want to break the bank on my girl friend). Any ideas?
    Go through .. As in push her through it... wouldnt a car be easier

Anyways

I assume you get free calls between each other else this isnt worth doing.

I think at its simplest form you need to set up a VPN between the two machines

Yours as a VPN server and hers as a VPN client.

XP should have this ability built it already. and then she would appear on your computer a a normal network user that you could then use Internet Connection Sharing on...

I might be way off here but it technically should work

Thanks

Richard
    Support@Netrg.net

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.net.ttu.edu/docs/vpn/winxpvpn.htm

There's a great article on setting up a VPN. One thing, make sure to input your own information!

BUt to be honest,
    I don't know if this can be done...
    In fact I've never heard of it being done. BUt if it works for you, by all means let us know. As I myself am interested in this concept.

UPDATE:
    I put this thread in the networking section as it deals with networking, even though you are requesting software.

By the way,
    Here is another article you can read on this:
    http://www.windowsxpuser.com/features/tc-vpnsetup.shtml

One other thing:
    WARNING #4: If you establish a Virtual Private Networking (VPN) connection while sharing a different connection, the client computers won't be able to access the Internet until the VPN connection is ended.
    Good luck,
    BB
    Last edited by Big Booger; May 6th, 2002 at 03:20 AM.

A car would be cheaper, only then she would want to come over all the time. Next thing you know she wold be living here and you know what that would lead too.

VPN, I am going to check that out. I will let you know how this works..........

Thanks for moving the thread Boogs. I was not for sure where it should go. 50, 50 chance to get it right and I missed this one.
    Last edited by Tinker; May 6th, 2002 at 07:05 AM.

Thumbs up We struck gold, or the internet...

It works. Posted on my two best sites, compiled the info, tweak here and there and BOOM! My girlfriend can now connect to the internet by 56k modem via my back up PC. I just got it going so the details are yet to come. I just need to tweak the U.S. Robotics modems for max speed and it is there. Any Ideas on the modem tweaks? This will be a direct link so I should be able to max the settings on each box for top speed. For now and the 15 min. of testing that was done late Monday evening around 30k is the highest speed obtained. If I can double that, whew..............
    Well that is the report for now..
    Last edited by Tinker; May 7th, 2002 at 03:23 AM.

Tinker,
    You wanna tell us what guide you used, how you did it, some of the specifics. I am very eager to learn how you did it, so please spare no detail! That is if you have the time.
    Thanks bud,
    BB

Talking

O.K. here we go…………

Chemical X sent me this first bit of info which really kicked off the effort. Thanks Chem…….

Try this:

1) Head to the "Network Connections" folder in the control panel.
    2) From the "File" menu, select "New Connection" to start the "New Connection Wizard"
    3) Choose to 'Set up an advanced connection' and click next.
    4) Choose to 'Accept incoming connections' and click next.
    5) Now choose the device which you want to use to accept these connections (the dial-up modem). Click next to continue.
    6) Check the option to not 'allow virtual private networking', click next.
    7) Create a user name to allow access
    8) At the 'Networking Software' screen, just click next.
    9) Your machine is now set up to receive incoming connections via dial-up modem.
    10) I (Tinker) had some problems at this point, the dial up could not connect to the internet but it would connect to my P3 server. I am using a Linksys Cable/Router in my network and it and XP tried to use to use the same address (192.168.1.101).
    After you have completed step 9 you will see a Internet Connection icon. Click on IC and you will get a window, now under the General tab check the VPN for tunneling. Next click the networking tab and then select TCP/IP. Click on properties. Select specify IP address. I chose to use from 192.168.1.130 to 192.168.1.135 for my rang, this gives XP six address to assign as needed and not be in conflict with my router assignments at this time. You will also want to make sure that Allow Network access is checked at the top of the same window. This worked for me until I tried to update the firmware on the router, I have to send it back for replacement now.. Heheheh |:-}

Check out the following MS Q-article for more details: http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q316276
    Last edited by Reverend; May 8th, 2002 at 05:02 AM.

Tinker

You would to set up an intranet. This would become very expensive and it would be cheeper for your girlfriend to get her own connection.

- John

Cheaper is not the idea, making something do something because something happened to something that effected something which caused something to work. I think
    is the whole some of things.

thanks for the how to guide tinker!
    BB

Welcome Boogs..........

Has any one tried this? Just wondering how it has worked for you if you have. Mine is working out great. The user from the dial up connects at 28.8 and my box connects at 31.2 to them. However the through put is faster in my case because she is the only one on the line and there for does not have to time share, bandwidth share or any other share with any other users.

Question: Any one know how to tweak a U.S. Robotics modem? They are standard out of the box V.90 56K modems for PCI buss.