Thread: REmote assistance through Windows Messenger

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

REmote assistance through Windows Messenger

windows messenger,
    Is there anyway to configure windows messenger to automatically accept remote assistance when asked for it?

I have two machines, one at work one at home. Remote desktop through XP does not work..

However I can see my other account online when I log into Messenger. I want it to be able to accept remote assistance when I ask for it. That way I can do my work on another PC and have near total control.

Anyone?

Thanks,
    BB

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Right click My Computer, Properties, Remote. Do you have that checked?

I meant is there anyway to auto accept remote assitance through Windows Messenger, not through the remote desktop. It is confusing as hell, I know.
    The remote desktop is a windows XP feature. Remote assistance is a windows messenger feature.
    Whenever I do remote assistance someone is usually on the other line to click "yes" to accept the remote assistance. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get it to auto accept without clicking yes through windows messenger.

Thanks
    BB

Take a look here:
    http://www.mess.be/pafiledb/pafiledb...=category&id=3

You will find a lot of tools here, some of them can auto-accept incoming file transfers.
    Maybe you can find a tool that auto accepts incoming Remote Assistance requests...

But...
    Remote Assistance uses the same protocol as Remote Desktop (as far as I know).
    I assume you cannot use the Remote Desktop client, as most office computers are under heavy security.

But you could try Remote Desktop Web Connection.
    It uses your web browser, and only requires a plugin.
    Works from any Windows OS, and through any firewall.
    But your home computer/router/firewall needs to be set up to accept incoming requests.
    A quick search on Yahoo gives a lot of links, but I recommend this one:
    http://ts.bink.nu/

I use Remote Desktop Web Connection all the time from work.
    Works like a charm!
    Last edited by xerox; March 25th, 2003 at 12:52 PM.

I will try this tomorrow at work. Thanks for that handy little tool. I hope it works. Cause this here fellow will be gaming at work over the net

I wonder if it will let me run mohaa?

Ah, well, good luck.
    Gaming through Remote Desktop is really slooooowwww...
    :sleep: :sleep:
    ::MSN:xerox @netcom.no : ICQ: 34983908 : Sharp XG-NV7XE DLP Projector ::
    ::1000mhzpentium3:393mbram:128mbgeforce4ti:40+60gbhdd:1024/512adsl: winxpprosp1::

Well,
    I tried it, and I get the same message that I got before. I used my IP address at home as the server name to connect to... and it didn't work. Any ideas?

Update:

I was kidding about the gaming over RD.. I know it would take forever for it to work, I have tried it before when XP first came out.. Also tried watching a DVD over RD, totally ran like crap.

Now about the setup, I have the home machine configured to accept remote desktop. I have successfully allowed remote desktop on my Home LAN. No problems. But My LAN has a firewall, as does my work.
    I can't get the work to open the firewall, as it is all handled about 12 miles away. Work has it's own provider..

Are there any ports I should open up for my Home LAN firewall?

I will keep at this because this is an important thing for me to do.
    Thanks for the help thus far.
    Last edited by Big Booger; March 26th, 2003 at 04:36 AM.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Why doesn't the remote desktop work? I think you should try and figure that out as that will be the best solution.

Are both machines on XP? Did you create a user account on your home PC for your work PC to connect to? Practice the setup method on a small (local) network if possible that way you don't have far to go between machines if you need to tweak a few settings.

BTW - Remote gaming on the net will be slow as buggery since a heap of data has to be transferred during visual apps. I tried something similar over a 100MBPs LAN connection and it was shyte.

This is what you need on your home computer:
    1. A user account with a password
    2. If you have a router: Forward port 3389 from your router to your computer*
    3. Open port 3389 in your firewall

At work you don't have to do a thing, Remote Desktop Web Connection operates through port 80 as far as I know. At my workplace, all ports except port 80 are closed, and this works, so...

If it still doesn't work, please let me know the exact error messages you get.

*this is because your router has the external IP that you connect to, and your computer has an internal IP. Unless you forward the port, all traffic to your external IP/server name through port 3389 will never reach your computer.
    There may be exceptions, check your internal IP (Start>Run> type: ipconfig to see IP Address), then check your external IP (http://checkip.dyndns.org/). If they are the same, no port forwarding is needed.
    ::1000mhzpentium3:393mbram:128mbgeforce4ti:40+60gbhdd:1024/512adsl: winxpprosp1::

Here is the error that I am getting, I have used both my IP, and my dyndns.org addy to try to connect.

I have since routed the port from my external Ip to the internal one.

I have enabled the remote desktop on the host machine, other than that I have no idea what else to do

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    i use netmeeting personally and it has desktop sharing and put it in the start up so that you can connect to it. set up a login list and youre set.thats how we connect to customers and to our tech support servers from our desks.

forgot to add the image

Tried netmeeting unsuccessfully. I was hoping this would work because the client uses port 80.

I think it should work, but something is stopping it.

Think I found out why, I am running Longhorn on the host.. that could be the culprit

I will be formatting very soon.
    Last edited by Big Booger; March 27th, 2003 at 04:04 AM.

Originally posted by Big Booger
    forgot to add the image

Tried netmeeting unsuccessfully. I was hoping this would work because the client uses port 80.

I think it should work, but something is stopping it.

Think I found out why, I am running Longhorn on the host.. that could be the culprit

I will be formatting very soon.
    Hmmm, if the port is forwarded, remote connections enabled under System Properties, the last thing I can think of is, maybe your firewall is blocking it? Have you checked that?

Hang on, you're using Longhorn?
    Yeah, that might be it...

might reformat it tomorrow. Just checked my firewall again. It is mapped.

I also checked remote desktop again on the host, works fine behind my LAN.

I am thinking two things, Longhorn or firewall issues.

Yeah, Longhorn is still in beta, so it might be it.
    Let me know how it goes