I do not usually post to this forum because I am still using SE. I hope this is not a repeat topic.
Tech TV - Screen Savers reviewed a great tool for XP on yesterday's program. I wish there was one for SE.
From the Screen Saver site.
Windows Tip: Track Your Boot Process
Everyone wants a fast boot, learn what happens behind the scenes to speed up your startup in XP.
By Morgan Webb
The one thing we all know about booting is that we want it to happen. On Monday, I'll show you a Microsoft tool that helps you analyze your boot process in Win XP.
Once you download and install the BootVis.exe tool, tell it you want to trace one reboot. Your computer will reboot and create a file that you can drag and drop back into the BootVis tool.
Analyze your boot
You can see:
* What's happening in your boot by the second
* Find out when your drivers are launching
* If the programs that run on startup are taking a significant chunk of your boot time
* When your CPU is maxed out
* When your disk drive is lagging behind.