Thread: will mozilla browser hide my IP address?

will mozilla browser hide my IP address?

i have done a search for 1/2 a day. i know it has security feature's. but outside of stopping pop-up's, i can't find what they are. i can't find a link or web address.
    thank you for reply's or link's to thread's

I am discussing the latest download build 1.3b. I assume that the same information is available on earlier builds, however I don't have a way to verify that belief.

All of the information you need is contained in the Help section of Mozilla under "Using Privacy Features". This section includes the following topics.

- Privacy on the Internet
    - Using the Cookie Manager
    - Using the Password Manager
    - Using the Form Manager
    - Encrypting Stored Sensitive Information
    - Managing Images

Like every other browser, Mozilla is not free of security bugs. The difference is that the open source community is constantly working to correct Mozilla bugs. Corrected code is quickly released in the next beta release. Those releases occur every 6 to 10 weeks.

Release Notes contains new features and known problems for Mozilla 1.3b.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    If you "hide" your IP address, you might not be able to connect to the internet.

I agree with barb's answer, you may find that many urls dont display properly or will just come up as a 404 error
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    here vadislav,

I did a quick search for you about hiding ip addy and I found this for you

Anonymity 4 Proxy Support Pages

Sending Specific Fake IP Address to Websites
    Q: I would like to set a specific IP address to be sent to websites as I surf. I have read through the documentation and have modified the variables in the "Browser Options" to include the details mentioned, but upon testing (on my web page, viewing the IP) I always seem to be broadcasting the Proxy server's IP, not the one that I put in the Browser Options.

A: Websites can detect the IP addresses of the people who visit them in two ways. First of all, websites can analyze the parameters of the "physical" connection, and in that case they will see either the IP address of your own computer (when you're not using a proxy), or the IP address of the current proxy server from A4Proxy. There is no way do somehow fake or hide that address: as long as there is a connection made to the website, the website can see the IP address of the computer making that connection.

So it is important to understand that whatever you do on the Browser Options tab, your connection is still physically relayed through a particular proxy server. So technically there is no way for you to fool a website 100% unless you have a proxy server which has the exact IP address you want to show to the site.

You can, however, send an additional piece of information containing a fake IP address. A4Proxy generates a fake IP when you select one of these options: "Simulate HTTP_CLIENT_IP" or "Simulate HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR_IP" (Proxy Options tab). The presence of these variables in the request tells the website the following: "the request is made through a non-anonymous proxy server, and the IP address of the client is x.x.x.x", where x.x.x.x is the fake IP address generated by A4Proxy.

As a result, an anonymous connection made through an anonymous proxy server appears for the website as a connection made through a NON-anonymous proxy, and there is an IP address which looks like a true IP address of the client.

Now, that doesn't mean that every website will actually bother analyzing the "Client-IP" and "Forwared-for-IP" variables. Some websites analyze such info and others don't. Those which do analyze it will be fooled, and those which don't analyze it will only record the IP address of your proxy server.

Instead of sending a random fake IP address, which is the default behavior of A4Proxy, you can also make it send one and the same specific IP address in the "fake info" field. In order to do so, you must first enable one of the simulate-ip options mentioned above, and then create an request modification on the Browser Options tab, to replace the random fake IP address generated by A4Proxy with the IP address of your choice.

get anomity4 proxy here

http://www.inetprivacy.com/a4proxy/f...dress-spec.htm

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hmmm...,
    sounds to good to be true

Surf the Web and Download Files Leaving No Trace

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anonymity 4 Proxy (A4Proxy) is a personal anonymous proxy server and anonymizer. Once you install on your own computer, it will allow you to surf the Web with privacy. This local proxy server includes a database with hundreds of anonymous public proxy servers located all over the world. The program is essential for those who value their privacy and who want to surf the web anonymously. With A4Proxy, you can scan each server, check its response time, confirm its anonymity, and test its speed in connection with the website or ftp-server that interests you (HTTP, HTTPS (Secure HTTP) and FTP are supported). You can choose the best candidate as your default proxy, or select the option to use a different proxy for each request. Advanced features allow you to actively hide yourself while surfing: A4Proxy can generate a fake IP address for each request, selectively modify HTTP variables, block cookies, and more

there is always a catch!, I know nothing about these things but i heard some annonimizer websites are run by the law.

hehe.

egghead

I will try this program out and bug some friends!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member
    I've been trying this for an hour or so - I can never get an available proxy for some reason..........

Titanium Member
    Well it works, but it's painfully slow - it took a couple minutes for this page to load - (i'm on ATT) - I could only find one server that worked

Last edited by lynchknot; February 20th, 2003 at 02:17 AM.

Thumbs down Not so anonymous

I used an anonymizer a year or so ago and decided to actually check to see if I was anonymous. Guess what folks.
    Many of the proxy sites DID NOT make me anonymous. Plus as we all should know, Big Brother is monitoring the Internet. After all it was their idea to begin with.