Thread: NetBIOS not working???

Bronze Member

NetBIOS not working???

I'd be grateful if anyone can throw any light on what happened here!

Following some sort of problem printing to a networked printer, one computer on a small network totally lost its ability to work with the network.

The network uses Microsoft stuff with static IP addressing and uses TCP/IP with NetBT. 4 of the computers on the network are Win2000 with the other two being Win9x. The one with problems is Win2000.

When I delved into what was going on it seemed to me that the network was working OK in that the errant machine could ping IP addresses but there was no understanding of the machine names. It looked to me that the NetBIOS tables (shown by nbtstat) contained no useful references and would not refresh. I managed to get it all working again by uninstalling TCP/IP, rebooting and then putting it all back in again.

Has anyone any comments on what the problem might have been and what could have caused it?

Well Ken I do not have a good cure. Sounds like the machine lost it's static IP for some reason.

Please let us know when you find out.......

Bronze Member
    It's been suggested that Win2000 &XP can both be a bit flaky when set up in this peer-peer arrangement. Proper client/server and DNS is fine but in this configuartion it has been known to loose its name details.

It's further been suggested that the best bet is to allow NetBEUI back in which I've done and will report back if this happens again!

Personally I'd rather set up a Linux server for the system but that's not the way they want it!