Thread: Strange printer problem

Question Strange printer problem

Hey TZers, I have a Toshiba satellite pro laptop and just got a HP 845c printer. I install the drivers and the printer works just fine. But when shutdown and reboot later and try to print I get an error message that says "there was an error writing
    to usb /deskjet845c_/th1771d6nosx for the printer/ the printer is not ready make sure it is turned on". It's on. The laptop only has usb so no other option. If I uninstall the printer driver and reinstall it, it works fine again. There has never been a printer installed on this pc before. I tested the printer on my pc and it works fine. I tried another usb cable, nothing. What could this be?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanx Ed

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    What Operating System is on the Laptop?

Is there more than one USB port on the lap top? I had something close to this and it turned out that only one USB port would work with the printer. This should not be in theory but that is the way it worked.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I don't know if this applies to you, but MS issued a fix for HP USB product troubles a while back:
    Description
    From the developer: "This update fixes a problem with some Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems that sometimes causes a USB-connected scanner not to be detected by the computer. You can get a 'The scanner failed to initialize' error, or similar error, when this happens."

Download and information

I hope that helps, if not Tinker has offered an excellent suggestion as well. Don't give up. Post again and we will try to help some more.

By the way, welcome to TZ.

Thumbs down bad news

Thanx for the replies. Both the Hewlett Packard and the Toshiba sites said that the Toshiba 465c laptop has a bad NEC host controller chip. That has no fix. They fixed it in the next series(002) that came out. Seems weird because I can print until I shutdown. Oh well. FYI I am using 98se. No other usb or parallel port. The fix was for xp and win 2000. Any kind of adapter from serial port to usb I can use? Later ED

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.targus.com/product_details.asp?sku=PA096U

You can get the adapter for your USB printer there, it goes through parallel.

Might help.