Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install video card

Titanium Member

How to install video card

Hello, I just received a video card from Fastgame -

I have never taken the covers off. I have searched through Sony and have not come up with any answers. Does anyone know how to get to step 1?

I have read the card manual and it seems very easy to replace the card.

Reading through the sony forums, I notice that they were talking about negative air flow and solutions for it.

This card was sent with 2 80x80x25 thermalake fans - so maybe I should drill some intake and exhaust holes too.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Lynchknot,
    You can find a good guide on doing this at the following site:
    http://www.motherboards.org/articles...es/1168_1.html

Just use common sense, don't forget to ground yourself to discharge any static electricity that you have built up, by touching a metal component of the case before you begin. Also, make sure the VGA card fan (if it has one) has plenty of air to circulate throughout the case.

Let us know how you get on with it.

One other thing,
    You need to download the reference manual for your SOny PCV RX650 machine to know how to open the case:
    http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/...650rx660rx670/

YOu can find it at the link above.

Get the System Reference Guide. It shows you how to add/remove components from your Sony system.

There is actually a lever at the back on the top right, that you have to pull out, to remove the case side.

That manual shows you have to remove PCI components, which are nearly identical to AGP, except that the slots for PCI are white and those for AGP are brown, in general.

Hope that helps a bit more.

Titanium Member
    ok the card is in.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I don't know how to get the case cover off...dam pre-builts look on bottom of comp, there might be some tabs you need to push in. You may need to remove the front cover first...

The fans were just in case you needed some fans for future use, don't worry about them now.

Follow BB's advice, that static ele will kill your comp mighty fast !

Go here
    ATI Drivers
    and D/L drivers and control panel. Read directions while there....

Before you are ready too replace the card uninstall the Nvidia drivers, then use this DriverCleaner that Conan suggest. There should be a Nividia folder on Drive C...get rid of that folder. Also uninstall your Nvidia DVD software, your ATI CD should have a DVD player.

Ok now trun off comp and
    replace the card, boot into safe mode, now use that driver cleaner again & make sure all Nv stuff is gone. I always install my drivers (all drivers) in safemode just make sure your Anti-Virus is shut down ! Install the ATI drivers & the Control panel and reboot.

Hurry & show us your 3D mark score

[edit]= sorry refresh didn't work , guess you don't need what I posted
    Last edited by FastGame; March 12th, 2003 at 00:40 AM.

Titanium Member
    uhm.......hehe - I didn't do most of what you said. All I did was replace the card and turn the computer on and adjusted the resolution and refresh rate to 85 and ran 3Dmark 2001 and got 7336 - a whole lot more than 1000!!!!!!!!!!! There is stuff I never saw before! Now do I need a better driver or something?

What drivers are you using ? if all is fine then leave *well enough* alone for now.

Titanium Member
    Were there already drivers for this card installed? I did not install any drivers - all I did was turn the PC on. There wasn't even a "found new hardware" message. It is showing 6.13.10.6153
    How is the score - is that number what I should expect?

Should I be installing Catalyst 3.1 Driver Suite

Your using the XP SP1 native drivers...

Go to Start>All Programs>EA Games> MOHAA and use the Auto Configure, then play the game in single player...see how it goes??

That score is close for your CPU, but I think you should be in the 8000 area.

Before changing things do some testing first

Titanium Member
    MOH won't play - not even in safe mode. It says, "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem"

Get rid of all the Nvidia stuff !

Get the Catalyst 3.1 Driver and try.
    Last edited by FastGame; March 12th, 2003 at 01:34 AM.

Titanium Member
    Ok now it works! WOW what a difference! I maxed everything out! all settings. Should I do that or what.

Also, are there some people cheating? I shoot them 10 times and they don't go down - but they can shoot me once and I die - what's up with that?

edit * I just ran 3d 2003 and it got a score of 1118
    Last edited by lynchknot; March 12th, 2003 at 02:28 AM.

With online gaming there are several other factors that determine the best results with gameplay. You can have the best whoopass machine on the market, and if you are on a 14K modem, 5000 miles away from the host server, you are going to get your ass kicked everytime.

PING is the major factor in determining the optimum setting for good gameplay. Also, practice, good techniques, and getting used to the controls are also helpful. I know in MOHAA, setting your mouse to the highest speed within the MOHAA control OPTIONS, helps 1000%..

I personally have seen users defying the PING theory that I mentioned above,

for example, I will be on a server, my ping will be in the 100s, yet some guys have pings well over 400.. and they still kick ass. The reason, I have come to determine, is they practice at it, for years sometimes.

Alot of MOHAA users have been playing nearly 1 year, and they are damn good. Just practice and get used to it.

Further, if you aim just above their head, you can usually nail them everytime.

Also, the Machine gun is the second heaviest weapon in your arsenal.. it is highly accurate, but it slows you down to a crawl. Only use it in open areas where you can aim at your enemy from a distance and blast their ass.

The submachine gun (SMG) is one of the faster weapons, but it is the least accurate of all.. it is good for close combat situtions, in rooms, and on narrow streets, but it is horrible for long range/precision shooting. (for some reason the German SMG seems to work a hellava lot better with accuracy than the ALLY weapon).

The rifle is one of the best in close combat, but it also can function in a long range situation. The best part about it is you usually get 4 grenades when you use this weapon, and these can prove invaluable in combat. The german rifle really sucks and you can tell someone is a damn good player when they successfully use this weapon, I have seen players who were specatular with the single shot german rifle

The sniper rifle is the most accuarate weapon of precision that you can choose, and from a distance you can kill anyone. However, if you are in a close combat situation, you are screwed. With only 1 grenade (usually), you don't have many options when you are in a face-to-face action bash. I highly suggest you to use your pistol and try to out manuver your opponent, shooting when you can, and I really like to pistol whip in this situation.

The rocket launcher blows in the Spearhead game, because you can no longer shoot on the fly. When running the weapon auto aims to the ground, and you have to stop to shoot it, which makes you vulnerable. However, if you have a good spot, up high or hidden behind something, you can usually use this weapon to its fullest.. remembering you have but 6 rockets and each one takes 2-4 seconds to load.

The shotgun is the close combat weapon of choice. If you are in a room with someone with a shotgun, you best run or try to grenade them. With this weapon you can run the fastest.. and reload is 5 bullets, so you can shot 5 times in a row, then you have to reload which takes about 5-7 seconds...

Other weapons you will have to figure out for yourself.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Big Booger; March 12th, 2003 at 02:54 AM.

Titanium Member
    Thanks BB - after playing for an hour or so, my temp was around 125 - is that ok?

Originally posted by Big Booger
    You can have the best whoopass machine on the market, and if you are on a 14K modem, 5000 miles away from the host server, you are going to get your ass kicked everytime
    Oh how I know.... this dial-up sux's

Good to see you got the 8500 going Lynch