Read the threads but don't see what I need help with. I am newbie. Used computers for years but had been attempting to take care of problems myself instead of letting someone take care of it.

.I've never had problems with defrag and scandisk but now expereincing both on my ME.

When I tried B]defrag[/B] and left it over night; came back next morning at it was 2% complete. When I tired again i get a statement that my drive has some kind of error and I need to run scandisk to fix it first.

When I ranscandisk , I get several different kinds of response. One is that scandisk had to restart 10 time because some other program is writing to my drive. Where can I find information what is writing to the disk? I don't think anything major changed since last scan. The other response I got is not getting the above mentioned problem but scandisk would say "checking file allocation tables" then "checking files" but only about 1/4 way complete when the whole process starts over with "checking file allocation tables" and so on. I left to eat lunch, came back still same thing.

Has my system failed? or is there anything I can tweak to get things back to normal. Few days ago my Word flashed on and then off immediately when I tried to open it. I had to uninstall Offce and reinstall.

Thanks for the help. So far I've only been asking for input. Maybe down the road I can return the favor to someone.