Thread: My mouse stop working in Windows XP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy My mouse stop working in Windows XP

Hi!
    I already read about Windows XP crashes and i want to know if somebody can help me.
    My mouse stop working constantly in Windows XP, i'm not shure if the video card can be the problem 'cause when this happends i can work with my keyboard, i recently upgrade my video card driver and this still happening, and i have change the mouse too with the same results.
    I hope your very valious comments.
    Thanks.
    Ariel Suárez.
    Soporte Corporativo
    UNITEC

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Welcome to the board Ariel.
    Is your mouse a PS/2 or USB model?
    Also,has the mouse stopped working completely or do the left/right buttons still work?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Following on from what Rev brought up, my Logitech cordless will not run usb properly in xp. Always seems to stop running after a while, yet everything else is fine. So if its usb that could be your problem, I have 2 computers and they have very different hardware running but they both fail with usb devices. Try running your mouse on a PS/2 connector if your using usb and see how you go
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I am not totally sure about this, but its worth a shot. Check your IRQ's I don't know if the mouse uses an IRQ or it uses one with USB, but its worth a shot. Another thing is to get the most updated drivers for your mouse, check to see if its plugged in correctly. Try another mouse and see if you get the same results, if you do then its most likely not your mouse and could be an incompatibility with XP. TRy using your mouse soft in Compat mode.
    You could also try installing your mouse drivers manually! that might help. BUt with the limited information available, I simply cannot offer a definitive answer or suggestion.

YOu might want to include this information

What kind of mouse?
    What version of XP?
    What software you have installed
    What software is running in the background
    Post a screenshot of the behavior
    Post any errors you are receiving, if any..
    and any other information you consider that might help in this situation.
    Thanks
    BB

Same symptoms but just a little different. Old PS2 mouse was hanging up XP, had to reboot sometimes to get the screen to unlock. I did not know this was what was causing problems, up grading the mouse to a Optical track mouse which I prefer and the lock ups went away....... This of course was Fiat but none the less it killed a grimlin..........

I have a similar problem, using ms optical usb mouse, winxp pro, abit ic7-max3 mobo, p4 3.2G, 2G matched DDR ram, ATI 9800XT video card, twin 120g SATA HDD, running striped raid.

System has worked great for months, lately the mouse 'stalls' (no buttons work either), the light goes out, the only way to get it going again is to pull the plug out and put it back again.

In my investigations so far, it is NOT: a system standby/hibernations issue, USB hub power issue, and yes i have tried serveral different mice.

Possibly a virus? dunno have norton running and it hasn't picked anything up.

There doesnt appear to be background software running that is causing it either, the problem occurs at different times, more or less often.

I am currently at a total loss.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez.

Is the mouse connected to a USB hub or directly to a USB port on the MB?

the mouse is plugged straight into the USB on the mobo.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Now that you mention usb mouse problems,everyone seems to have or have had one.
    I have a genius mouse with usb connected to my laptop and when I browse online and am downloading something it freezes for a moment and then starts back up.Now when I plug my MS ps2 into and download there is no hesitation whatsoever.Both mice have native xp drivers.It is not to much of a bother,but now I am curious to see if I can find some updated drivers for the usb mouse so I can get it glitch free.It came with up to 98 drivers.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.