Thread: Convert Windows 2003 to Media Center Edition

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Convert Windows 2003 to Media Center Edition

ok, for all of u that said it could not be done, it can. i was able to get MCE installed on Windows Server 2003 (rc2). I am posting a guide:

You will need:
    XP CD2 OR an XP MCE ISO (some N-in1 should work) you need the mediactr.cab from it
    the included rar pack from Here:

1. Use TweakNT to change your 2k3 into Media Center Edition (You will have to restart)
    2. copy the inf's and the pnf's (5 total) into X:\windows\inf (where x is the drive letter for your 2k3)
    3. Copy the MEDIACTR.CAB files to X:\windows\eHome (You will have to create this folder)
    4. run the BAT file
    5. run the REG file
    6. re-convert into MCE (yes u r already an mce, but do it anyways)
    7. Run medctrro.exe (From X:\windows\eHome)
    8. Run ehshell.exe (From X:\windows\eHome) and it should load Media Center

Your Boot Screen Will Change to Freestyle, and so will the login prompt. when you run winver, you do not get an image. that is the only fux0red thing with this comversion

After You restart, you will have to run medctrro.exe before running ehshell.exe

NOTE- the rar does contain the proper version of TweakNT to convert To MCE. if this is a problem with the rules, just let me know and i will be happy to remove it

This from the forums over at iexbeta.com

I don't know why you would want to do this, but it seems possible.

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Exclamation lol

i did the same to Longhorn, cept when i tryed it did ask for the second cd, but of course i dont have it, so i said cancedl restarted, and guess when instead of the windows xp splash, screen i got windows free style,! lol very buggy,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I don't know why you'd want Media Center Edition on a Server Operating System.. doesn't make sense to me.. but hey, everyone has their own tastes.. I can see it on Longhorn or XP.. but windows 2003 server

I imagine it is just as buggy as doing it on Longhorn, if not more so when doing it with windows 2003 server.

By the way I haven't tested this, nor will I. Just posted it for information purposes, in case some of you brave souls who have this installed want to try this tweak out.