Thread: uninstall hot fix

uninstall hot fix

I am running win2000 sp3 with (to my knowledge) all fixes applied.

I ran a win2000 update this morning and installed a new version of the NVIDIA dis driver. It worked ok, but it now shows ALL of the Warts on my display. I bought an el cheapo Sylvania thin screen LCD at Costco about a year ago to get back real estate on my wooden desktop. It is limited to 1024X768 but works fine with my stuff.

After the install this am – I now have several distinct fuzzy areas on about a ¼ of the screen. Stuff displays, but just not quiet right.

I know that in WINNT there is a whole host of uninstall subdirectories for all of the hot fixes, fix packs etc that have been installed. Problem is I can’t find any indtructions about how to run them.

This mornings install created a directory

$NTUninstllQ815021$

first level contains a dll ntdll.dll dated back when I first built system

sub-directory spuninst

empty.cat

spuninst.bat

spuninst.exe

spuninst.inf

My guess is to run either the bat or the exe file to uninstall the fix, but thought maybe someone might know for sure

Tom
    Tom

Can you roll back the NVIDIA driver to see if that helps?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    If memory serves me right, there is no roll driver rollback in Windows 2000. What you have to do is go to Add/Remove programs, look for "Nvidia Display Drivers" uninstall that then have your previous or the most current display drivers ready for installation.

Here's a tip from experience, never download Nvidia drivers that are available on Windows Update. They normally perform like crap. You're better of searching for yourself.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Here's a tip from experience, never download Nvidia drivers that are available on Windows Update. They normally perform like crap. You're better of searching for yourself.
    I second that. totally screwed when you update with the windows update drivers... they are usually older, crappier, and often have less features than the most up-to-date drivers that have been released.

I don't know why MS even deals with drivers.. they should stick to critical updates, and OS addons.. IMHO.

I wonder how you could get the driver rollback feature installed into windows 2000... is it possible? Would be interesting to see if it could be done.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Aren't the MS hotfixes in the Add/Remove programs? If you want to uninstall the hotfix, just uninstall it via the Add/Remove programs...

Thanks guys - I got up this morning read every ones replies and bit the bullet. Used the control panel "Remove Program". Everything worked fine. Driver evidently reverted to old version with no problems. After reboot - the "warts" are gone.
    Just to be on the safe side, I downloaded the Driver Wizard from the Driver Forum to find another driver. I could only download from the UK site - neither of the US sites worked.

Thanks again. After using almost many of the technical support sites over the years, I can safely say
    "TECHZONEZ ROCKS"!
    Tom

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    glad you got it worked out.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Good to see you sort it out.