Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make Windows 9X/ME/2000 look like XP

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Make Windows 9X/ME/2000 look like XP

A few sites to help you accomplish this.

http://www.isenhower.com/XP/win98.htm
    Decent site that explains it rather well.

http://www.virtualplastic.org/html/art_xp.html#2
    A good site that covers may topics of this procedure.

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-6688749-8-8650862-2.html
    Another good site that talks about how to change your old version of windows to look more like XP.

Below you will find some tools to help you in this process.

http://www.windowblinds.net/
    Windowblinds is a great program that supports themes.

http://www.stardock.com/products/objectbar/
    Very powerful GUI (global User Interface) changing tool.

http://www.lighttek.com/
    Talisman, very similar to Objectbar.

Windows XP icon sets for windows 9X/ME/2000

http://www.tipsdr.com/windows-xp-icons.html

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Do you know what the overhead is like in doing something like this? I.E. Does it impact a lot on the performance of the PC or is it a seamless transition?

I tried Talisman, and a theme, and I could tell it slowed it down, but it wasn't that noticeable. I mean you wouldn't want to game or edit video with this theme in place, but it worked really well for me on a windows 95 machine, 128MB ram, 266mhz PII, 4 gig HDD...

I think as long as you have a decent CPU, lots of RAM, and an average graphics card, you shouldn't have issues.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I bought the full version of window blinds and had 256mb pc 2100 memory running a 1.4 AMD Tbird,and Win 2k.Very nice options,with a lot of enhancements,but it is a memory hog.I've since upgraded to an XP 2100+ processor and 512mb of pc 2100 memory and it's a lot smoother.Win 2k doesn't manage memory as well as win xp either,ie. I use Style XP on my win xp computer and it ran very smooth even with 256mb ram.Also with style xp you can run it without it using resourses(running in sys tray)and window blinds for win 2k has to run in the sys tray.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Thanks for the info guys...

I've tried both WindowBlinds and Objectbar on my Win98. Not a pretty sight. Probably handles it better on XP.
    Eating a lightbulb relishing on the procrastination of the rationalization of the disestablishment movement in the 1800s in Europe whence then was egotistical bastards were not unintelligently lived to see their timely undeaths in a very non-ungroovy way.

Actually I now think Talisman does a better job, though each have their good and bad points.

Yeah, but Talisman is a 30 trial. It looks awesome though.
    Eating a lightbulb relishing on the procrastination of the rationalization of the disestablishment movement in the 1800s in Europe whence then was egotistical bastards were not unintelligently lived to see their timely undeaths in a very non-ungroovy way.

yep unfortunately, it's only a 30 day trial. But after 30 days if you really want it and need it, 25 dollars is not that much, less than 1 dollar per day

Peter Wilcox

I found a proggy that works great at changing Windows 2000 to look like XP. Best of all, it's free!
    LINK

Hmmm, people wanting to make 9x look like XP?! Now surely that's the wrong way about! I must have got old to be resistant to change, but the big round windows take up too much space and look like they were designed to appeal to 4-year-olds!

d000hg,
    Intial reactions are like that. After a while of using XP, you go back to 98 and it looks like a communist block of cheese.

Colors, themes, skins, and so on.. XP has it all.. nothing like 32 bit icons.

Windows 98 Desktop Transformation

This site is dedicated to all the guys and girls out there with your slow Dial up accounts and your shitty phone lines, hi your just like me, and your not left out when you want to download XP and can't cuz your download rate sucks.

Well this page is the solution to your problems we offer all the files needed to turn your normal boring Windows 98 Desktop into Windows XP featuring the Luna interface =). Well it may not be full blown XP but its the closest I've done. Download these files and follow the instructions and your good to go.

Below are the shots of my Windows 98 Se desktop transformed into the Windows XP desktop pretty neat eh? they are some draw backs running Windows Blinds does take up some memory resources of your computer to have your desktop looking like XP you will have to leave it on.

Shall we Start? -

The above images are pictures taken of my old boring Windows 98 SE desktop, as you can see it kind of, looks like XP, but not full blown, its a cheap way of giving you the XP look lol.

You will need to download these files first before you can proceed to change your desktop to look like Windows XP, After you have downloaded all of these files go to the next step >

The Wallpapers (Assorted Wallpapers)
    Luna Theme (215kb)
    Windows Blinds

Go to the folder where you downloaded WindowsBlinds too, and install it , and follow the instructions, after you have done that, go in the WindowsBlinds options and go to install skin from disk and then specify where you downloaded the Luna Theme to, and then select it and click Apply or Ok, and how you have finished transforming your desktop partly . Proceed to step 2.

After that is finished proceed to unzipping the Wallpaper File to any folder, and then after that go to Display Properties, and click Background, and then click Browse and go in the folder where you put those unzipped wallpapers, and when you found it click ok, and then click ok again.

ObjectBar - your alternative Windows XP eXPerience

Feeling a bit more adventurous? You can try out Object Bar from the creators of Windows Blinds.

After over a year of development, Stardock has made a beta of ObjectBar publicly available.

ObjectBar lets users replace or extend their existing Startbar. It can skin the system tray and provides nearly unlimited desktop customization options.

It can make your Windows 98/ME/2000 system look just like Windows XP or make Windows XP (and all other versions of Windows) look like a new completely original operating system. Try it for yourself!

Below are the download links. Install the EXE and follow the on screen instructions and your should be set
    The above taken from the web archives:

http://web.archive.org/web/200402050...m/XP/win98.htm

This is some cool stuff, I wish I'd known about it a long time ago...

I say, "I wish" because I won't be having windows 98SE much longer, and my laptop has always been XP, but if I meet someone who has 98 I'm going to tell them about this!

-adiemus

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar
    One of the guys in the lab, has Windows XP looking like Windows 2.0 ! Talk about RETRO!