My neighbor had me come over and help out his PC. He is now running windows XP PRo ( I deleted windows 2000), installed by yours truly. His PC is an old IBM Aptiva with 192MB of ram, an AMD 488Mhz CPU, 6 gigabyte Quantum Fireball HDD, Voodoo 2 Graphics card, onboard sound, etc...

I could go into how long it took me to find drivers for his 1995 hardware.. but I won't, just know that I spent about 8 hours working on his PC last night and yesterday.

Well, XP does fine, but it uses his CPU at 100% all the time.. I have shutdown every service imagineable. Hit cntrl alt del, and minimized all of the services down to about 12 or 13...

It doesn't matter what I shutdown, something else always uses the CPU at 100%... which bogs his computer down to a crawl. It takes about 4 minutes for IE to load...

Anyone have any ideas?

I have adjusted his Pagefile to reflect the amount of RAM he has available. Typically he has about 80-100MB of Free ram available. I went into the properties of My Computer and adjusted windows for max performance. I made the system restore file very small to conserve his HDD as much as possible, I disabled Hibernation.

I edited his IE temp folder size to about 80MB, deleted all the cookies etc...

I defragged his HDD, so that it had 0% defragmentation, it is still at 100%.

The only thing I didn't try was changing the GUI back to look like windows 2K... and he doesn't want to change it back..

ANy ideas on what could be causing the CPU to run at 100% regardless of what is running in the processes panel of task manager?

I haven't a clue.