Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel cameras and software and the ports they use

Intel cameras and software and the ports they use

Hi:

Below is the answer my son received when he queried Intel about the ports their cameras and Intel Video phone software uses.

My son has broadband and a Linksys router. Me...I have broadband, no router but I am using Zone Alarm as my firewall.

The Intel(R) Video Phone uses the H.323 protocol to establish and conduct video calls. Per the H.323 protocol, only the first port number (1720) is static which is used to establish the connection. After the initial connection, a dynamically assigned TCP port number is negotiated for some more control data to be exchanged. Following that, dynamic User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports (which range from 1024 to 65535) are negotiated for the actual exchange of audio and video. Rather than opening all ports on your router, please check with your router manufacturer to see if there is a setting or configuration you can make that will allow only H.323 traffic through your router. They may have updated router firmware that might provide H.323 support.

Well, I guess my son will have to tell his router (with its firewall) to leave ports 1024 through 65535 open and I will have to do the same with Zone Alarm. That's 64,511 open ports while only 1 is being used. Not exactly the situation one would like.

I suspect there is no practical way to leave just the one dynamic port in use open but if there is, would someone tell me how it can be done?

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    well, what I would suggest, is setup your router firewall to allow the camera to bust through. Then setup Zonealarm to allow it, but to ask first.

That way anytime the camera need to access one of those ports, it would ask you first if you want to allow it...
    but they should have assigned it a specific port.. doesn't make sense to leave all those ports open and accessible like that.

Makes a lot of sense, BB...I should have thought of it. Only my son has the router and I will forward your reply to me to him. When he gets things up and running from his end, I should be able to set up Zone Alarm as you suggested.

I'll let you know if it worked when we get things going. It may be a while as my son has a lot on his plate and he's not retired like me!! I'll add it as a 2nd. response to this letter.

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

John,
    Did you get it sorted out?

Wel, yes, though I could not get up in front of a class and thoroughly explain how it all works

What happened was this:

My son wrote Intel, discovered that the Intel camera software starts things off with a static IP, which then quickly changes to a dynamic variable IP between 1024 and 65355 (or some high port number like that.). They also said he should insure his router supported Protocol H.323. So he called Linksys and they had him download a firmware that updated his firmware so that the router did support H.323. I was thinking I would have to tell my Zone Alarm (I do not have a router) to open all ports between 1024 and 65355.

However, after my son installed the firmware upgrade; he was smply able to call me. On my end when I opened Intel Videohone to be ready for his call, Zone Alarm simply popped up two questions: (1) Did I want Intel Videophone container to access the internet? and (2) Did I want Intel Videophone Container to act as a server? I told it 'yes' to both and then it let us talk and see--no problem. I assume it only allowed the one port we were using through, but I don't know this, darn it!

However, I could not call him. He has since sent a 3rd IP address for me to type in in Intel to see if that will enable me to call him, but so far we've not gotten together to try it out--tomorrow possibly.

John

Glad to see you got it working, sort of

I wonder why you cannot call him. Might be his router or something..

You could try removing all the firewalls for a temporary test.. then you can start the firewalls and see which is stopping the program from working over the net... kind of like trial and error approach.

Good luck!

BB:

Hi:
    Well, it DID work as I said.

But last night I could not contact my son, nor he me...unless I shut my firewall down. Then it was excellent.

No ideal why...none! I wrote a request for help letter to the Zone Alarm User Group...hope they answer...too soon to have heard yet.

Just thought you'd be interested in this turn of events. Will follow this msg with a solution if/when I find it.

John

Have you tried another firewall? I personally use Sygate and it works rather well. I cannot every remembering having a problem with it.

Interesting you should ask...because I was wondering if I should do that. If was poking around the net for another firewall because no one answered my "I-am-afraid-necessarily-vague" question to the Zone-Alarm User Group--all that is available to the users of the free Zone Alarm. Such users can't get help from Zone Alarm.

And I ran across a description of Sygate, a free 5.0 version and am just about to try it out. I was kind of impressed with the desscription and now you recommend it. The going price of firewalls seems to be $40 these days, though I suppose you could find them for $30 if you poked around.)

But honestly, BB, it ain't a terribly LOGICAL reason for trying another firewall. I'd like to know what the probleml WAS(IS) and then I'd have a logical reason for steps to fix it. But all too often computers don't work that way!!!

SO!

Zone Alarm regarded every computer out there on the net as a bad guy and automatically blocked it, unless I told it otherwise; thus only the good guys got through to me. Is that how it works with Sygate?

And can I tell Sygate to open just one port for a specific IP address and could I give it a range of ports to leave open if I should want to?

John

BB:

Never mind answering my questions about Sygate. I decided to install it anyway so all my questions were answered. Haven't yet tried it out with my son though.

John

Update:
    OK, it's 2:30 AM, April 7, 03 here. Just got off the net from talking to my son using Sygate. It worked like a dream, reception as good as if we were on the phone or in the same room, video excellent. Just think of all that money saved!! What went wrong with Zone Alarm? I have no idea. All I can do is say "Go Figure." I still was not able to call him...only he, me...but l am writing Intel about what I can do so that I can call him.

John

I stopped using ZoneAlarm about a year ago, when one of the wankers from TZ introduced me to it. Works great, is a solid product that I have been using solidly for about a year. ZoneAlarm had a lot of problems with XP back in the day so that is why I stopped using it.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I used to use Norton Internet Security firewall in the past, but after trying Sygate, it's the best! Some wankers from this forum also led me to try it!

Well, I was impressed by my experience with Sygate last night and it's nice to have the confirmation of it from both of you (Conan and Big Booger.)

But would one of you tell me what a "wanker" is? The term is new to me!! Wanker...panker...schmanker...hanker...it allows for cute rhymes!. At first I thought it was a typing error but then when it reoccurred, I wondered.

Ya know what's nice about TZ: the widespread INTEREST people take in each other; it's like talking in person...the human side has been added.

John

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by wumply

But would one of you tell me what a "wanker" is? The term is new to me!! Wanker...panker...schmanker...hanker...it allows for cute rhymes!. At first I thought it was a typing error but then when it reoccurred, I wondered.

John
    See definition here:

http://english2american.com/dictionary/w.html

It's the third one. We say it in jest of course!