View Poll Results: How many PCs do you have Networked?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll

1 12.50%
  • 1-3

5 62.50%
  • 3-6

2 25.00%
  • 6 or more

0 0%

Thread: How many PCs do you have networked?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

How many PCs do you have networked?

How many of you are networking, and if you are networking, how many PCs do you have networked?

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    2 PCs about 40 metres apart. Soon to go up to 3 PCs in a star configuration. It's a standard 10/100 setup on CAT5E cable.

Wiring between the walls is the hardest part!!!

I wonder if anyone is running a powerline network. I would love to see how they implemented it and how much it cost.

I have mine on a Cat5e and Cat6 as well as a wireless connection. Running through a router. Wireless is with the laptop and the router, 802.11B, so it is limited to 11Mbits/sec, but that is plenty fast enough. Also have a Ethernet PCMCIA card that allows for 100mbit connections, if I need to do any transfering of files.

I wished homes were mostly prewired for ethernet.. I know the newer homes are, but doing it yourself is a job.. snaking the wires, drilling holes, etc..

If only wireless were cheaper and faster.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    From what I've read, wireless should get to around 50Mbits/sec quite soon (if it isn't already available) which is better than the old 11Mbits/sec.

That just leaves the price...

I had to vote "0" because I have been unable to network my two computers behind a direcway satellite internet connection.

I have tried several times without success. I have read everything about the subject that I can find.

I have had a great deal of success sharing my DirecPC connection using AnalogX Proxy. Here's my current setup:

1) In AnalogX Proxy: Turn off the News Proxy - I simply haven't been able to figure out how to get it to work.

2) On the DirecPC machine, in Internet Options/LAN Settings/ Uncheck the box "Use A Proxy Server". This disconnects the DirecPC Webcast Server, as well as auto dial up - but without this modification you won't be able to make a https (secure server) from the client machines. If you don't ever need to make https connections from the clients, skip this step and DirecPC will dial out on demand from the clients as well as from local applications.

3) In DirecPC NAV application: Sending mail will be much quicker if you use DirecPCs SMTP server (mail.direcpc.com) instead of you ISPs SMTP server. To do this make sure that SMTP is not checked in DirecPC NAV/Turbo Internet Prosperities/Terrestrial and configure any locally used mail programs to send mail through mail.direcpc.com instead of your ISPs SMTP server. In AnalogX use mail.direcpc.com as the outgoing server for all the mail from the clients.

4) This worked with my ISP - I don't know about yours! In DirecPC NAV/Turbo Internet Prosperities/Terrestrial uncheck DNS. This will cause DNS lookups to be done via the satellite instead of a landwire connection. Landwire is much slower because DirecPC must reconfigure to send or receive data via landwire (dialup). This causes a significant lag for both outgoing mail (hence the suggestion above) and DNS lookups. Getting DNS to work over the Satellite causes web pages to download MUCH faster.

Have you tried that method EFC?

I have used analog X's proxy server method to share a landbased cable connection, but not a satellite.

Is your connection two way, or one?

I have changed the outgoing mail server to (mail.direcpc.com) and you are right. There is a noticeable speed increase.

The rest of your comments will be for another day. I bought another cross over cable, (just in case i had a bad one). I will probably tackle it again over the week-end.

The part that caused me pain, lies ahead. The installation of MS internet sharing and its setup.

Answer to question.......I have the two-way system.

I will keep you posted.

Well I tried again without success. Installing ICS kills the Direcway setup. I tried to set manually the settings you provided and have downloaded 5 MS Knowledge Base segments. This is obviously a area that I don't know enough about.

Well,
    I too have had to use a proxy server to network two PCs at home. My router died and is being sent to IO DATA for open heart surgery. Hopefully I will get it back in a week or two. I used analog X's proxy server to network the PCs. This was my setup, and it isn't easy to do.

Host machine,

Installed analog X's proxy server. Got it started.

Installed two NIC's, in your case, I think you only need one (you are connected via sat. modem through USB right?)

Then make sure the other PC has an ethernet NIC. Connect the NICs directly using a crossover cable (the shorter, the better). Then you have to configure NIC in the host, with IP addy, and DNS. IN my case I used 10.0.0.1 for host and my ISP's DNS.

Now configure the same thing in the client (second PC). Only you want to change the last digit of the IP. I used 10.0.0.2

Now, you try to ping the machines. At first this didn't work for me. I had to restart the machines to allow the pings to work. I found I could ping the host to the client, and the client to the host. I knew I had a connection then and it was working like a billy goat humping a hound dog.

Now, what you have to do, now that the ping is working, and everything seems hunky dory, go into the Internet Properties of the client machine.

Open IE,
    Click tools,
    click internet options
    click connections
    click LAN settings,
    check the box next to use proxy

Then put the HOST IP address in. In my case it was 10.0.0.1
    Then change the port to 6588. I think that is the port.. not 100% sure because I am at work. But I think that is it. Then restart the client machine and host.

Now make sure that the Analog X proxy server is running on the host machine, and that you are connected to the internet. The host machine must always be connected in order to allow the client to connect, and the Proxy Server application has to be running as well.
    If it is running and active, you will see a Big green P in the system tray.

Now try to connect to the internet from the client.

tell me if that works. It may not, then again it may. You may have tried this already.. never hurts to try again

By the way, I never enabled ICS on either machine. I just made sure I disabled any firewalls, including XP's built in firewall..

This is more information than I have found anywhere. I definitely won't be able to work on it until the week-end. Other commitments.

I still have a couple questions.

1. Please explain further - Install NIC. Are you talking about network cards or something else?

2. The two way system works via a proxy server 127.0.0.1. Do you think that is part of the problem that I am having? The proxy is important. The through-put is faster with the proxy.

I have not downloaded Analog X proxy server as yet. Will do that as soon as I complete this post.

Appreciate the detailed instructions. Can't wait to give it a try.

127.0.0.1 is a bounceback. I don't know why they want you to do that.. but then I don't have a sat connection either, never even seen one before... wished I could try it out

As for 127.0.0.1 that is your local host IP address. I wonder whey they have it setup to proxy serve to your local host IP address? Seems very interesting.

About the NIC, yes I was referring to having 1 ethernet card in your host machine, and one in your client.

I have 2 in my host machine, because my modem connects through ethernet and the other connects to the Client PC with a crossover cable.

I think you only have to have 1 NIC or ethernet card in your host machine because your modem connects through USB and one in your client machine.

In theory this should work for you.

Now, what analog X Proxy Server does, is allow you to use your NIC in the host machine to server the internet connection from whatever source you have, to your client machine.

The first time I tried setting this up I was totally confused.. I had no idea.. it took me more than 2 weeks to set it up, because I bought the wrong damn cable do'h I just did it again yesterday and it took 30 minutes. Though, you have to keep the host machine going and connected to the internet, with the Proxy server program running in the background (if it works, it'll be green, if not, it'll be red).

Anytime you shutdown the host machine, the client can never connect. If you shut off the proxy server, and leave the host running, the client cannot connect.

The folks at analog X really are great! I am glad they offer their software free of charge.

Let me know if you can get it running. I think it should work, but I am not 100% sure... if I only had a Satellite connection to test it with.. unfortunately, there are only a few Sat internet companies in Japan, and they are mostly too expensive.

I do have one network card in both the host and the client. They will be connected with a 25' crossover cable. I have the materials and tool to make my own cables. Since I have had so much trouble getting this thing to work, I purchased a ready made cable.

I have downloaded the AnalogX proxy.

A general comment for anyone following this conversation. Satellite internet should be considered only when DSL or Cable is not available. I am waiting for wireless. I may switch at that time. If anyone is interested I will explain why.

Booger - the frustrating thing is that I have networked computers hooked to cable numerous times. Each time I used a router which made it a simple process. With this setup I feel like I am trying to swim in oil.

I have everything waiting for enough time to work on it. Looks like Sunday will be the day.

I think this should be a simple process, but often times it doesn't turn out the way we want it to

Keep us informed and good luck.

Down in flames. Part of my problem is the client computer. It was built up with spare parts:

Duron 800 MHZ
    256 PC2100
    Gigabyte GA-7DXC MB
    Matrox 6.8 GB HD
    SIS 315 64 Video card

The MB was available because it had been taken out of another computer for stability issues. I will wait until I find a give away price on a socket A MB and try again.

I am keeping all of the information so that I won't have to reinvent the wheel next time.

BB - I will let you know what happens. Thanks.

Don't you just hate it when that happens. Looking forward to see if you can get it to work.