Thread: Needed Fans ?

Gold Member

Needed Fans ?

Last year I bought a Pentium 4 computer with a 1700 mhz processor. In addition to the fan on the processor, it also had a fan mounted on the side panel.

I just bought another Pentium 4 computer with a 2400 mhz processor. This computer does NOT have the extra fan mounted on the side panel.

Question--was the fan on the first computer overkill, and not really needed ? Should I add a fan on my new computer ? Thank you.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well with the new MOBO fastgame sent me it has the cpu fan and a fan and heatsink on the chipset. then my case has 2 exhaust fans in the back and an intake in the front. but to answer your question you should have atleast an intake in the front and one exhaust in the back IMO. Then if youre into gaming I would suggest shelling out the extra dough for a good heatsink and fan for the CPU and GPU just to keep the sucker cool and longer lasting.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Re: Needed Fans ?

Originally posted by mike13

Question--was the fan on the first computer overkill, and not really needed ? Should I add a fan on my new computer ? Thank you.
    The more, the better for cooling. In my set-up I've got 6 additional fans. 2 intake, 2 exhaust, 1 120mm. fan blowing on the motherboard and 1 80mm. blowing additional air directly on my video card.

Gold Member
    Thanks for your replies, but now I have a bigger problem, concerning wiring. I will start another thread.

I have a similar setup to Conan's
    I have three exhaust fans - one on the side panel and one on the roof of my case and one rear another three intake fans both front and side
    In my view you can never over kill.....unless you have to wear earmuffs when switching your puter on
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Titanium Member
    Extra fans for me are 1 exhaust and 1 intake and 1 blowing directly on my video card - all 80mm. My case temps are a constant 84 degrees at all times.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I currently have two fans blowing in....one exhaust...one intake...I have been thinking of getting one of the fans that you screw into the back of the case (where the PCI slots are) but I've heard mixed reviews about them. Nice bonus I can think of is that it will blow directly on my vid card....

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Stripe
    I currently have two fans blowing in....one exhaust...one intake...I have been thinking of getting one of the fans that you screw into the back of the case (where the PCI slots are) but I've heard mixed reviews about them. Nice bonus I can think of is that it will blow directly on my vid card....
    Those PCI slot fans suck the air around your video card and blows it out the rear. Counter productive if you ask me, it'll leave a vacuum for the card's stock fan.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I have about 5 fans running.. sounds like a hovercraft.. wife complains about it quite often..

I have been debating a full silenced Zalman solution.. but I think I will wait a bit, for my next MOBO/CPU upgrade, before upgrading my fans.

Those PCI slot fans suck the air around your video card and blows it out the rear. Counter productive if you ask me, it'll leave a vacuum for the card's stock fan.
    Thanks for the input...I've also heard that they don't cool that much anyways.

I hear raves about watercooling....quiet and all....I just have this thing about having a fishtank near my electronics. call me old fashioned and all....

BTW...picked up two new fans this weekend with blue LED's...pretty nifty....now...all i need is the cold cathode light...
    Last edited by Stripe; April 8th, 2003 at 17:52 PM.

Gotta agree with Barb about the pci slot fans, you would proberly find it more effective just leaving the gap at the back of your case. not worth the money as they dont effectivly cool your system
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I use the pci exhaust fan I will test it and see what the temp differences are. I have it installed under the agp slot to blow out the hot air from the vid card. keep you guys updated on the temp changes.

you would proberly find it more effective just leaving the gap at the back of your case.
    Dont like to do that (although that's what I currently have). Lets too much dust/dog hair into the case....

I think water cooling is the way to go...just gotta get over my phobia of water in the case....