Thread: wiring problem

Gold Member

wiring problem

Hi, I really messed something up this time. I got a new Pentium 4 computer, but wanted to change the CD burner that came with it. When I took the burner out, it was not jumpered as MASTER. I thought this was strange since it was alone on its own cable that ran directly to the motherboard. I do not remember if it was jumpered as Cable Select or Slave.

So then I took the hard drive out. It had two jumpers on it. One jumper connected the Cable Select, and the other jumper connected the top pins of the Master and Slave. I started to remove the one jumper and was going to jumper it as the master.
    I also noticed that there were several ways to connect the pins, depending on the GB that you wanted. So I put the jumpers back the way they were on the hard drive.

I then went back to the CD burner and jumpered it as Master, even though it was not that way at the beginning. When I started the computer, I got several beeps and was told that the secondary slave was ATAPI incompatible. not knowing what that meant, I thought I better change the CD burner back the way it was, although at this point I do not remember, except that it was not set as MASTER.
    Started the computer and again got several beeps. Then changed the jumper on the CD burner again, same problem when I start the computer. I then removed the CD burner completely. Same beeps and error message when I start the computer.
    Went back to the hard drive-tried different setting there, but got the same beeps and error message. Then I noticed that the cable that the hard drive is on, has three different ends. Black, which was connected to the motherboard, and a grey in the middle, and a blue at the end. I tried connecting the grey and then the blue to the hard drive, but same problem. I assume the black end goes to the motherboard.
    The cable that the CD burner was on has three connections also, but they are all black.
    Please help, I am totally confused at this point.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    This is my suggestion, as I too have ran into this problem when I installed 3 HDDs, a CDRW and a DVDROM.

Go to the manufacturers website, get their manual and look at how to set up the jumpers. This will most likely solve your problems.

I would try setting the CDRW to master, and setting the HDD to master, if they both are on separate IDE channels. IF that doesn't work try cable select.

Keep trying until you get the proper configuration. Also, make sure you have the cables installed correctly. I know some cables have it marked so you know which end to insert into the drive, but some are the universal type and you cannot tell which side to install..

Gold Member
    Tried setting the hard drive to master, even used another cable thinking that maybe the cable went bad from me connecting and reconnecting it, no difference. How can I be getting the message that says "Secondary Slave drive atapi incompatible" I have the CD burner disconnected.
    The hard drive is a Samsung SP4002H.

Mike,
    Check to see that your Hard drive's jumpers are connected properly by looking at this document:

http://www.samsung.com/servlet/Downl...zip&country=HQ

Look under the page called settings. That shows you the typical jumper settings.

about your error message:

My PC stops in the boot section with "ATAPI incompatible device on secondary slave"
    This occurs on machines with DVD/CDRW combo drives when the BIOS is set to AUTO for the device.
    Setting the devices on the secondary controller to NOT INSTALLED will solve the problem and also boot the PC faster than previously with no detrimental affect in Windows.
    Devices such as Removable Media devices (zips, orbs) and DVD/CD-ROMs should almost always be set to NONE or NOT INSTALLED in the BIOS. AUTO should only be set for fixed hard disk drives.

So go into your bios, and change the CDROM drive from auto to NOT installed might allow you to boot.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    If the cable has a blue end then the blue goes too the mobo and the black end (not middle) goes to the drive set as master, the middle connector goes too the slave drive. If the drives are set as cable select and you have them connected to the middle connectors then they'll be slaves even if you want them masters.

Two IDE channels....set HD as master, blue end of cable to mobo, far black end of cable to the HD. Do the same for the CD-R\RW on the other IDE channel.

Do as BB suggest & redetect the drives in bios.
    Last edited by FastGame; April 6th, 2003 at 03:56 AM.

Gold Member
    I tried again. I don't get that atapi incompatible message now, but it tells me that "it is searching for boot records from SCSI , not found. I tried changing the cable to put the blue end in the motherboard, no difference. I am sure the black end was in the motherboard because I did not remove the cables from the motherboards until I tried another cable thinking that maybe the cable was bad. Well I am going to bed now, messed up enough things tonight.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Try going into your bios and run the Standard cmos features and auto detect your hard disk and cdrw on the channels that they are attached to.When you took them off and on and they were wrong the continuous connection was lost and needs to be detected again.This has been my experience with this problem anyways.Good luck,I,m almost sure nothing hardware is broken unless some static got to the drive.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    As FG said earlier,the blue connector definately goes to the mobo.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

If all else fails, try going to motherboard manual and locate the MB reset pins (if they exist). If so follow the instructions to set original defaults.

Be sure to unplug the power cord when messing with MB pins.

Process usually involves changing pins to reset and applying power. The unplug power cord again and return jumper to normal setting and apply power.

Comments from BB and Reverend??

Gold Member
    I am up and running again thanks to all your support. I went into the bios and this is what I saw.
    Pri-master not installed
    Pri-slave not installed
    Secondary master not installed
    Sec Slave CD rom

I noticed in the lower right corner there was a selection to have the computer "Automatically detect hard drives" I forget what
    F key it was, but when I hit it, I then saw "Auto" where I saw Not selected before. I then rebooted, and everything was back again as before. I then when back into the BIOS and set the CD burner to "not selected" as was advised instead of auto, and that took about 15 seconds off the boot up time.
    This is the first time I ever saw a hard drive with more than six pins on it. It had the usual 2 pins each for Master, Slave, and Cable Select, but it had two more pins. There was a decal on the hard drive that showed different jumper settings using the TWO jumpers. (never saw that before) Apparently the capacity of the HD can be changed by the way you set these two jumpers. I also noticed that the way the two jumpers were set, did NOT match any of the diagrams. Since it was upposed to be a 40 Gig HD, and the computer said it was a 33 gig HD, I thought they were jumpered wrong. That is when I started changing things. The hard drive is a Samsung SP4002H I went to their website, and that number does say that it is a 40 gig HD. Maybe the jumpers need to be changed on the HD, but I am leaving well enough alone. Thanks again for all the help, you saved me a trip to the computer repair man.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Originally posted by mike13
    Thanks again for all the help, you saved me a trip to the computer repair man.
    Hmm Techzonez is the computer repair man

Good to see you up & running

glad to see you got it back up and running.
    About the HDD difference, that is typical. I have an 80GB IBM drive, that shows up as 73GB in windows.. it has something to do with how they label drives...

But your drive might be different.. not too sure. Perhaps someone has experience with a samsung HDD, I unfortunately do not