Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what are good temps?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

what are good temps?

the thread mike13 started regarding the fans got me wondering what is an acceptable temp for amd and intel cpus? currently mine are

cpu: 60/141
    mobo: 38/102

is this hot, cool, avg.?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Re: what are good temps?

Originally posted by phishhead
    the thread mike13 started regarding the fans got me wondering what is an acceptable temp for amd and intel cpus? currently mine are

cpu: 60/141
    mobo: 38/102

is this hot, cool, avg.?
    Your CPU looks to be running hot! What processor are your using?
    For my P4 I get around 38-43 for CPU and 32-36 for the motherboard.

its the AMD 1.4 t-bird I know AMD's generally run hotter but whats acceptable.

Titanium Member
    My P4 will hit a max of 120

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Exclamation my Notebook and new comp

my notebook with the cooler i bought, it runs at 23 celcious, my new comp im slappin togther runs currently runs at 21 celecuis the mobo runs at 4-7 celsious the cpu is a mand 2800+ i will take pics asap, but im workign for a galery lol so give me a few days and you;ll she shadows new Machine this time Burn proof,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    60c isn't too hot for that T-Bird...but it was running @ 48c at my house and 54c during the summer...did you take the HSF off ? if not maybe it got jiggled during shipping, I prolly shouldn't of left it installed.

60c is well in the safe range for 1.4 T-Bird but it looks as if things are in direct relation to you mobo temp which look on the high side also.. as long as I had that setup the CPU never went more than 18c above the mobo temp

Right now my room temp is 74 F and my mobo is 29c/84 F and the CPU is 39c/102 F.. AMD XP T-Bred runs cooler than the T-Bird so don't go by my CPU. As you can see my mobo is running about 10 F higher than room temp. My set up is in a Antec full server tower with 3 case fans, 1 blowing in & 2 at back of case blowing out. My Antec 480watt PS has two fans & 1 fan on my NorthBridge chip.

If you have one of those PCI slot fans maybe it's sucking all the cool air across the bottom of case ?
    Last edited by FastGame; April 9th, 2003 at 04:24 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Might want to try some new arctic silver 3 thermal grease? Make sure the fins on the heatsink are free and clear. Check you air flow, make sure intake is going in and exhaust is going out? Check your wiring, make sure you got it right.

Last thing,
    What are you using to check the temps? Motherboard monitor or some proprietary solution? Radar gun?

Titanium Member

Re: my Notebook and new comp

Originally posted by shadow_warez
    my notebook with the cooler i bought, it runs at 23 celcious, my new comp im slappin togther runs currently runs at 21 celecuis the mobo runs at 4-7 celsious the cpu is a mand 2800+ i will take pics asap, but im workign for a galery lol so give me a few days and you;ll she shadows new Machine this time Burn proof,
    shadow, you got your PC outside? Thats colder than my room temperature! 21 degree Celsius = 69.8 degree Fahrenheit

Re: Re: my Notebook and new comp

Originally posted by lynchknot
    shadow, you got your PC outside? Thats colder than my room temperature! 21 degree Celsius = 69.8 degree Fahrenheit
    He always has his PC outside...right next to the garbage can & burial pit....ooops sorry bad joke ya know I luv ya Shadow was J/K please forgive

disconnected pci fan, now using round ide cables, tucked the cables away from intake fan and still getting cpu 60 and mobo went down a degree 37. think might have to cut a hole in the case for another intake blowing right on the mobo.

Titanium Member
    maybe I should cap my room vent and run a 3" hose to the side of my PC - crank the AC! or I can just live in a shed like Shadow with a portable space heater to keep my feet warm - anything to keep me pc happy.

Lol sorry Shadow -

How hot is the room the PC is in ? what are your temps with the side cover off ?

BTW don't get too worried...just think how hot one of those suckers ran in a prebuilt with only the CPU fan & PS fan..lol

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by phishhead
    think might have to cut a hole in the case for another intake blowing right on the mobo.
    That's what I did with my old case too, before I upgraded to a Lian Li.

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Exclamation lol

lol well its near the window and i have no exhaust fans, all my fans are intake so the is blowing to the proccesser, and i got a drive bay cooler, it came with the ehxaust blowing out, so i took my toolkit to it and reversed it so the 2 92 mm are blowing towards the cpu, and iv spent 3 hours making sure every wire is hiding, and not wires are in any way of the fans, notebook i put artic silver 3 on its cpu, and heatsink,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

with the case open it only dropped the cpu about 5 degrees...so I think I might get a zalman heatsink and fan then cut a hole in the case and get a huge fan for to blow right on the mobo.