Thread: Installing updated video or audio card

Installing updated video or audio card

I'm running XP Home edition.

I'm wondering with the install of either board (audio or video) if I am likely to need to tweak my bios as currently my video and audio "cards" are onboard.

The reason I was thinking I might have to tweak the bios so that the S/S would know NOT to use the onboard cards.

wumply
    Last edited by Reverend; April 9th, 2003 at 17:56 PM.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    You will need to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard sound and onboard video.
    The onboard options should be under the "Integrated Peripherals" menu.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

OK.
    I have to go into the bios.
    I have to physically install the new board.
    I have to run the software that came with the new board.

What is the preferred order in which I should do these 3 steps?

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    here you go
    1. disable the onboard vid and sound
    2. boot up...then shut down, unplug.
    3. install cards in slots.
    4. xp should pick up the cards and install the drivers for you

the extra stuff on the cds are optional

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    After you have finished phisheads guide,

Go on the net, and find an updated driver, catalyst for ATI products, and Detonator for Nvidia products.

Same also for audio cards Creative, Turtle Beach, etc... they all update their drivers quite often.

You will see better performance once you have updated your drivers to the most recent available.

It really is an easy upgrade. Just make sure to discharge static electricity by grounding yourself to a metal component (usually your PC case) before touching any of the internal components, and be very careful when inserting the cards, don't force it, but sometimes you have to kind of be firm.. but not overly so.

If you have any more questions about this, please ask. That is what TZ is all about

Below is a guide for video installation. If you have onboard video, then you may disregard the step that deals with removal of the old card .
    http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...0822063-1.html

Another more in detail guide that also refers to the antistatic wriststrap:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,724928,00.asp

ANd yet another:
    http://www.directron.com/howtovideo.html

Thanks Everybody. Would have sent this reply sooner but some hacker got into my cable provider's system and changed the MAC # on hundreds of computers which meant they could not get on the net. (IDK what MAC stands for--it's like a serial #).

It makes me mad--those damned hackers. The indifference, the inability to get on the net, the cost to my internet provider and society at large. But it's life on the net, I guess. Like those people who increase insurance costs because they lie about the cause of the damage or get a friend's damage fixed by claiming the damage as occurring to them.

wumply

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    LOL wumply, guess you were so upset over the hackers you forgot to tell us how the audio\video update went...

So how did things turn out ? and what audio card & video card did you get ??

Fastgame: Yeah, I was bugged by those hacker thugs; still am. Wankers...that's what they are!! They are also a comon word beginning with B_______!!! (NB: I have to LOL at myself for these feelings!)

Proabably going to install an audigy gamer card my son gave me Sunday or Monday. As far as video card goes, not for a while anyway. Egghead pointed out that the picture my son sees of me did not depend on my video card but on his AND on the settings of our cameras. So now my camera is set the same as my son's, and we'll probably get to check the changes out Sunday or Monday.

I'll let you know. It could take longer simply because things do not always go as planned.

wuimply