Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ti4200 Problems

Ti4200 Problems

I recently finished putting together a new pc and the video card is an Abit Siluro GF4 TI4200-8X 128MB AGP. The card worked fine for a while and then problems started popping up. Pixellating, menu openings extremely slow and when it does pop up it's unreadable. The screen going black for a second and coming back. Try to change anything in the video properties and it goes bonkers, black out with flashes of diagonal color as if the horizontal hold has messed up. Half the desktop icons are black, the other half normal. Other things too numerous to mention.

I've changed the drivers more times then I can count with the same results.

I've changed monitors with the same results so my instinct says it's not the monitor. I do not have another video card to fit in the Asus A7N8X AGP slot so I can't check if it's the mb, which I doubt anyway.

Any clues from this illustrious crowd?

Thanks

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Does this problem occur immediately.( i.e from a cold boot).
    Or does it only start after your machine has been running for a while?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Immediately. I just tried to run gta3 and it killed the drivers. XP reports that (after a reboot) it's recovered from a device failure.

Error Signature:

szAppName: Drivers.Display
    szAppVer:10DE0281A18F1047B

szModName:nv_disp.dll
    szModVer:6.14.1.4351 Offset730506EA

These are the latest nVidia drivers. I've tried going back to older drivers all with the same devastating results......Device failed. The only way to get any decent video now is to not put any drivers in. Methinks the new video board has sh@t the bed but I'm certainly open to any suggestions at the moment.
    Last edited by Reverend; April 15th, 2003 at 19:44 PM.

Strange where it says Drivers.Display there's a smiley at the frst D.

I've just typed it again and let's see if it's still there!

I noticed you edited it Rev. I saw the fix as soon as you posted it.
    Last edited by Thor; April 15th, 2003 at 20:39 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try reseating your vid card,and also check your AGP Bios settings are correct. (AGP 8X.)
    If possible drop the card down to 4X and see if that improves it.

BTW i edited your post,(put a space between : and D )
    The reason the smiley was there is because there was a colon : followed by a D which is the vb code for the "big grin" smiley.
    Last edited by Reverend; April 15th, 2003 at 19:47 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I've reseated the card with no change. The bios are set for 8X but will try 4x in a moment.

I reset to 4X, booted up, reinstalled drivers, rebooted and got the same thing, Windows recovered from a serious error.

Different error sig this time.

BCCode : ea BCP1 : 81BA9BE8 BCP2 : 820D3008 BCP3 : 822B4690
    BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 256_1

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Also make sure in bios that the AGP apreture is set to 128, I think the default for A7N8X is 64, there's a setting for AGP Frequency...instead of auto set it to 66, disable FastWrites also.

Bios settings..
    AGP Apreture=128
    AGP Frequency=66
    AGP FastWrites=disable
    AGP VDDQ=1.5
    AGP 8X Support=enabled
    Primary VGA Bios=AGP VGA Card

After you do these settings then boot into Safe Mode and remove all the Nvidia drivers, I'd tell ya to use that driver cleaner that Conan always suggest but I don't know if it would remove the Nvidia Nforce2 drivers as well ?

After you remove drivers in safe mode then reboot and let Win XP install it's own (29.52) drivers and see if it works.

Do you have another v-card to try ???

Fingers X

I have the aperture set to 128MB and you're right the default is 64. I'll try to check the other settings you've recommended.

I will try getting into safe mode but the problem now is that the phrases/letters are jumbled on boot and in the bios. Letters, numbers, arrows and symbols strewn all over the place. Very hard to make out where exactly I am. I've never run across that phenomenom before. It's still from the vid card but.................

No other card to try. My older agp card will not fit into this agp slot and I do not have a pci vid card available.

Thanks for the help.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    What kind of older card do you have ? I thought AGP was AGP ? why won't it fit....also if it's screwed up in the boot and bios then your card is toast (more than likely) cuz the drivers aren't even loaded yet...

I think you need to try another card, can you still get a replacement from Abit ?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Had this same problem with a geforce 2.

Check your power supply.. surely it is 350watt +, if not that could be the problem.

My card was screwed.. I tried to send it back.. but the maker wouldn't accept that their hardware was damaged..

IF you got the card at a brick and mortar, just take it back.. for an exchange.. most shops will do that without question.. as long as you have your receipt. if you got it online contact them about an replacement..

That is my suggestion, especially if it is a new card... if it worked ok for a while, that means something could be wrong with the card.. better be safe than sorry.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    It's possible that you are looking at the incorrect driver.

Have you tried installing the default windows display driver for the monitor? Also, when I installed my 4200, it mentioned that you needed to install the VGA compatible adapter (I was using XP though and didn't need to do this).

I think the card is blown because of the scrambling at bootup. I'm running XP Pro so vga shouldn't be a problem. I've put the original drivers in from the accompanying cd which should be the correct drivers and no luck there.

I thought agp was agp too but the slot configuration on the old card is different from what's on the A7N8X DL. Different voltages? Don't know.

The card wasn't purchased at a B&M. If it was I'da been there faster than you can whistle for a taxi. I'm over the 30 day allotment for returns at the online store where I purchased it so I'll have to go to the manufacturer. It does have a 3 year warranty but after reading this FORUM I may not be a happy camper. Wish I had read it before purchase

Oh, the power supply is a 400 watt Antec. Should be plenty.

Thanks folks. Keep the suggestions coming as I'll try most anything.

I'll have to set up the old pc now to continue being online whilst the card is RMA'd

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    can you get the card to work at all?

If so, you might want to check to see if it is overclocked... maybe the factory overclocked it or something..

Also, check the temperatures.. make sure it is not overheating..

While you are at it, check the fan, and make sure it is spinning correctly, and is not blocked by any objects, dust etc...

IT could be that your motherboard might have a problem with 8X AGP..

Can you try the card in another computer, perhaps a friend, at a comp shop.. (they usually will test them for free) or for a very small fee...

If it works in another computer, then you have a compatibility problem.

If it doesn't then you have a hardware issue, and it is time to get on Abit's azz about it.. and get yourself an RMA!

hehehe

good luck thor and keep us updated.

Gonna try it in a friends pc this weekend. I'll let you know the outcome.

The mb is supposed to have 8x support.