Thread: Windows 2003 and Streaming Media

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Windows 2003 and Streaming Media

I set up a streaming media server using windows 2003. It was rather simple.

(1) I installed windows media encoder 9. After installing it, I configured it to use my Sound Blaster Live! Platinum and my MSI TV@nywhere capture card.. (you can also encode AVI's and MPGs into streamable media as well, and use the streamable media as your source.)

(2) In windows 2003 you have to choices when using a streaming media, PUSH or PULL. I chose to pull because it seemed easier, but I think push is a bit more powerful, but PUSH only works on windows 2k3.. pull works on any OS, I tried it in XP, Longhorn, and Win2k3.. all worked fine.

(3) With windows media encoder, you are limited to 5 connections at a time.. which might be a severe limit for someone who wants to make it their stream available to a large audience..

Now a little more about the encoder:
    A new graphical user interface and wizard make it easy to configure and produce great looking Windows Media-based content for both live and on-demand delivery over the Internet. Support for source switching means greater control over live event content delivery.

Easier Session Wizard
    Guides users through the process of setting up an encoding session, target bandwidths, and quality options using fast and easy Session Wizard steps.
    Multiple Source Support
    Enables definition of multiple input sources per session as "source groups." Source groups can be devices, disk files, or combinations of both. For special streaming applications, users can maintain video settings and device properties per source group.
    On-the-Fly Source Switching
    Allows greater control over live event content production and delivery by enabling users to switch between live and prerecorded input sources.
    Improved Profile Creation and Management
    Allows creation of custom profile settings that can be easily copied, saved, and shared among encoding stations. The Profile Manager enables users to manage system and custom profiles.
    Improved Visual Feedback
    Enables greater monitoring of the encoding process in terms of encoding image size, data rates, and real-time controls for encoding and statistics.

SOME GUIDES ON STREAMING MEDIA WITH WIN2k3 SERVER:
    Hosting Streaming Media
    In-depth technical information to ensure deployment of Windows Media Services is easy and successful.

Hosting & Distribution with win2k3

Internet Distribution
    Use Windows Media Services to stream live radio broadcasts, or stream on-demand television clips.
    INTERNET DISTRIBUTION

Network Management
    Information you need to deploy and maintain Windows Media Services in your organization, including information about edge servers, and more.
    NETWORK MANAGEMENT

Customization
    Developers can integrate and extend streaming environments with the industry's most extensible platform.
    CUSTOMIZATION

WINDOWS MEDIA SERVICES 9

DOWNLOADS
    Windows Media Services 9 Introduction

Whitepaper on Upgrading Windows Media 9

Optimizing WIndows Media Services 9

Logging Model For Windows Media Services 9

Download WIndows Media Encoder 7.1

Use the one above if you limited on resources with your host machine.. if you have less than 512MB ram, use the 7.1 version

If you have more than 512MB of ram use the following 9.0 version:
    WINDOWS MEDIA ENCODER 9

Any questions just ask. I'll try to help as best I can.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Were you using Win2k3 that time you let me watch CNN streamed from your server?

sure was amigo.
    it played pretty decent didn't it?

Yep. The quality was awesome. Only thing that let it down was my 56K.

Well,
    What i could even do is reduce the video and audio quality down to where the 56k would be acceptable.

Might even make two streams, one for high speed and one for dialup.

Now that sounds like a quality idea!

I give it 2 thumbs up!