Thread: Mozilla pointer to local file

Bronze Member

Mozilla pointer to local file

At work we have a web page and a button that points to
    a local file (mapped drive).

It doesn't seem to work -- no error mgs's, just nothing--
    IE and Netscape both work but Mozilla doesn't ?

I looked in Advanced settings etc. but can't seem to find anything that would control or resolve this, any ideas ?

here is the type of file I'm trying to point to
    file:///i:/dir/dir/filexxx.html

Cowboy, I am not sure that I understand your question.

Are you talking about Local Folders in Mozilla Mail or something else? If you are talking about Local Folders, it is a convenient way to store emails on your hard drive. It is also handy for filter scanning of incoming email messages. You can create filters that transfer certain messages to other folders - even folders in Local Folders.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Efc,
    YOu know a lot about Mozilla. I am impressed sir

Cowboy, I think Efc hit the hammer on the head with this one.

Bronze Member
    No nothing to do with mail.

This is a pointer on a webpage that I'm tring to get to, it
    is a local file.

There are a couple reasons why Mozilla will not open a given page. Both have to do with preferences.

If you have selected the "block unrequested popup windows" option pages popup links will react the way you described.

A similar problem can occur with the cookies setting, "enable cookies on the originating web site only".

There are two things to try. When a request hangs, select Tools>Popup Manager then click on "allow popups from this site" if it is not greyed out. The alternate is to click on Manage Popups and add the address manually.

The second thing to try is to activate cookies for this site using a similar method as described for popups.

If all that fails send me the link and I will see if the same problem exists for my version of Mozilla.

BB - I have used Mozilla, almost exclusively, since version 1.02. It was good then and getting better with every release.

For those not familiar with Mozilla, we are currently at version 1.3 (final) and a 1.4 alpha version which I am using.

There are still a few sites that I can't access with Mozilla for which I keep IE 6 and NS 4.79 on my machine. One of those sites is for my stock broker, who makes no apology for building their security around IE. If it isn't IE you won't get beyond the login page.

Back to Mozilla, I recommend that every adventurous soul download a copy and experiment with it. When things don't work go to Mozilla.org, Mozillazine or Mozdev to look for an answer. Often they are hard to find yet the results are usually worth it. An example, my usual process for installing new versions, was to uninstall the current version and then install the new one. All preferences, bookmarks and Address Books entries are preserved using this method. That method worked fine until 1.4a came along. After a search I find that 1.4a cannot be installed over 1.3. You have to choose another install folder. The reason is that Mozilla is transitioning to the Pheonix engine which will improve speed.

A few of the reasons to try Mozilla.

- Tab Browsing (One click and I load 6 sites)
    - Popup blocker
    - Cookie Manager
    - Password Manager
    - Form Manager
    - Image Manager
    - Many Themes available to change browser appearance.
    - An excellent mail program (I manage 5 email accounts on one page)
    - Many plugins (two that I use are the spellcheck and calendar)
    Last edited by efc; April 25th, 2003 at 15:01 PM.

Bronze Member
    Thanks, Ill try some of the things you mentioned, once again this is an internal site/file (I have the drive mapped)

Bronze Member
    p.s.

Someone thought it might be this ;
    " I'm not sure if it's relevant to your problem, but I've found a difference in the way Mozilla handles the "input type='file' " tag.

If a form using the "input type=file" tag is submitted using the PUT method, the contents of the file are sent to the script or CGI that handles the form . AFAIK, this is still true for all browsers

If a form using the "input type=file" tag was submitted using the GET method, then the file name, not the contents, were sent to the script. Pre-Mozilla, the ENTIRE filename was handed to the form handler. With Mozilla, only the file name is submitted."

Any thoughts ?