Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opera Browser

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Opera Browser

Ok,
    Finally broke down and tried it. I must say it is feature rich.. I compared it to IE and I am glad I tried it. IE is like a generic communist looking browser when compared to Opera. Opera is skinnable, the book mark manager works 100% better, is cleaner and overall, more appealing.

One thing I don't like is the default view. It sucks.. they bloat it out too much.. but you can hide most of it and change the browser to the way you like to view..

One thing, preferences was located under file, rather than another category.. I found that fairly quickly. Preferences lets you really get in and customize everything..

It took a second to get used to it... but I think I will use it as my default broswer, much the same way I use Phoenix or Firebird on my Laptop.

I like the color themes, they are simple to switch and apply, takes less than a second. The GO bar is already configured with good, which I use probably more than any other search engine. You can zoom in and out as well, and it provides tabbed browsing to help organize your windows. I really am impressed.

It also comes with a built in mailer, so you can compose a message from within opera, using hotmail!! That will save seconds off composing from within IE, as if you wanted to compose mail, you'd have to open up a third party app, like Outlook or Eudora.. with Opera it is done from within a tabbed page, you can even add attachments. Very nice.

And if you don't know how to configure it, Opera comes with a tutorial on setting up the POP or IMAP, NEWs etc.. mail services to use within opera. It took me about 1 minute to setup my hotmail account..

The downside about opera, is the add at the top right hand side of the broswer. You have to purchase it in order to remove the ad, but it is not that obtrusive.. but IE doesn't have ads.. at least not that big. :P

Give Opera a shot. I was and still am impressed.. IE really sucks. I can tell that now that I have had a chance to try Opera, Mozilla, and Firebird.. these browsers are very good.. you just have to break out of the monotony of Microsoft and try them yourself.

I tried Opera a few years back and wasn't overly pleased with it. It was quuick but didn't have as many features as IE. After your review it looks as if I may try it again.

Are you using the full version?

Know that Opera has some user security issues. Read this before you download.

http://www.opera.com/privacy/ads/
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

using the full version.

The best way to compare it, is to open up Opera, then open up IE. Then look at them side by side, by minizing each window. I just can't believe it.

I mean, I can zoom in and out on any page any where in Opera from 20% to 1000%.. Other things that Opera has that IE doesn have are styles, where you can change the look from emulated text browsing all the way to hiding elements like tables, images etc...

The import of OE contacts was a snap. The Mail feature is a great asset.. though I discovered that hotmail doesn't work.. seems MS doesn't support it. But my techzonez email works fine, as does my verizonmail, and myrealbox.com email.

When I compared the GO bars of IE and Opera, it is no contest. Opera simply adds more, and doesn't in a very logical way.

The look is more up-to-date as well. IE 6.0 is nearly 2 years old or so.. and it is starting to show. The icons look cheesy compared to Opera. And the skins are a plenty for Opera. They have over 68 pages of skins located HERE.

Very interesting indeed. Give it a try. The latest version is nice.

I am using the non ad version as of now

Below is an example of the skin I am using:

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2362947.jpg

It uses Foood's Icons in the toolbar. Looks very clean and nice.
    Last edited by Big Booger; April 28th, 2003 at 02:19 AM.

Titanium Member
    Here's something to consider, if you are one to stress over resources (not many do though nowadays - I think). I have 5 browsers open with 8 tabs each - except IE - which is just one window: (I forgot to add IE explore which adds 19800)

*mileage may vary

I never even thought about that lynch. good point.

IE sucks up the resources, something like 25Mb of memory per instance opened. I have five tabs opened in OPera, and it is using exactly 55Mb.

Amazing.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    what have I been telling you all this time boogs. have you found the mouse and keyboard shortcuts. and I love the wand that can keep all your passwords tucked away and paste them with a simple hotkey. now only if i can convert lynch so he can make me some cool phish skins.

phish,
    You were right.. I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy hehehe

Titanium Member

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Originally posted by lynchknot
    - convert lynch? - http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/why/
    Don't you dare ! you leave lynch alone

Opera is nice and I like it better than IE6 but Phoenix is my cup of tea If i were too need all the features of Opera then I would use Mozilla because I'm so used to Phoenix.

It's very nice to have all these browsers to pick from....now if only we could convert phishhead...hehe

Just an observation. Isn't it wonderful that we now have all of these choices. MS nearly killed all competion in the browser area. If they had their way there would be only IE.

Titanium Member
    Originally posted by FastGame
    ....now if only we could convert phishhead...hehe
    lol - http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/why/

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    ok I will give it a go tonight and see how I like it. I'm just use to opera been using it for over a year now. but hey I'm up to the challenge. and lynch you hacking into my system again.

Phoenix now Firebird

Fastgame mentioned Phoenix. We will have to get used to the name change. In the minutes to the Mozilla management meeting held in Japan on Apr 14, Phoenix was referred to as the "browser formally known as Phoenix". They are trying to convert everyone to the Firebird name

every time I hear the term Firebird.. I think of the car.

That image always comes to mind