Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: delay!!

Arrow delay!!

Hi,
    I just upgraded my operating system from windows ME to XP pro. After intallation, I installed all of the updates for XP except for the drivers. Now when i play my internet game, there is a delay even though I have an optimal connection.

Can anyone help me fix this problem!!!

Thanks.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    What game?

What kind of hardware?

Answer those questions and I can help you further. Welcome to TZ.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    For starters you can go to Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs and if you have the Win update Q811493 installed then make sure you un-install it.

Other than that it's like Big Booger said....need more info on your system and welcome to Techzonez

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez.
    One bit of advise,whenever possible always do a fresh clean install and not just an upgrade.

If you just do an upgrade,some of the previous system files and drivers will still remain on your system.This can cause conflicts with the newer system files and drivers,resulting in stability and performance issues.

I notice in your post you say you installed all the XP updates but not the drivers.
    Make sure you download all the relevant XP drivers from your hardware manufacturers web sites.

One other thing,have you installed XP SP1a?
    If not,then i would recommend you install it.You can download the full Service Pack here (125MB)

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

If you've done a clean install and Windows Update then they will have given you SP1a which is without Java. You can get it at sun.com or I'm sure someone here has the link/s to the ms version of Java.

Thanks,

The game is counterstrike

i have a compaq with
    AMD Athlon
    1.00 GHz
    640 MB of RAM

for some reason, i can't delete update Q811493 from add/remove programs.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by BOUS987
    for some reason, i can't delete update Q811493 from add/remove programs.
    Are you using different "skinning themes" with XP? If so, try using the deafult XP theme then try to uninstall again.

that didn't work.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    not sure if this matters but the update is for IE6.0 is there any chance that you have IE open. try closing it and then del the update.

Counterstrike.

I am assuming you have updated this game with the latest patches?
    http://www.counter-strike.net/retail_upgrade.html

If not, then you might need to try that. Also, what kind of internet connection do you have? Is it broadband? If so, you may have to upgrade the device drivers for your connection. Sometimes XP installs generic drivers for network interface cards, and these are often not the best for your card.

You might want to see if you can update any device drivers, including your graphics card, Network interface card (ethernet) if applicable, modem firmware might also need upgraded.

Further, you might try this

SITE and test your system. Run the full tests, allow them to install their javascript. You'll need to supply an email address, and password, (just register) that will test all the components of your system, and they will offer suggestions to you on what you need to do.

And when you say delay, do you mean delay as in you have a high ping, or delay as the game itself is running poorly on your machine?

How does CS play in single play mode? Have you tried any other games? If not try them and see if you are experiencing any of the same effects.

Last couple of things:

Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and check the processes running in the background. Make sure to close as many as possible. Some are system services and cannot be closed, but many others are not.

Usually you can get rid of a lot by closing any programs that are open in the system tray next to the clock. Right click the icons and exit them (as many as you can).

Another thing, during gameplay, disable any Antivirus software. I never run a game with my AV active, as it can slow disk performance down by about 50%... I don't think you can get a virus while playing an online game.

Make sure to upgrade your graphics card driver. If I knew the card type and model, I could have searched for the most recent graphics card driver for you.

http://download.guru3d.com/

The site above, has quite a few drivers for different cards. I think if you are using the default XP Video driver this is going to be your fix.

One last thing you can try, click start, right click my computer, click properties, click the advanced tab, under performance, click settings, you'll see the visual performance tab, click adjust for best performance.

That will make your XP look like ME/98 but it should speed things up quite a bit. ONly try this after you have updated your graphics driver. (I think the graphics driver update might be the solution, however, and this step will not be required.)

there is one other thing, but I will only offer that suggestion after I see if the other solutions mentioned will work or not.

Good luck!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Another note on Q811493....

Q811493 uninstalls through System Restore, it just reverts back to a point before the update was installed. If the space allocated for system restore on your HD is to small it may have been over written by more recent restore points and is no longer avalible. Or if you used Disk Cleanup with the Advanced Option of *remove all but the most recent restore points* then it's gone also.

I'm not saying Q811493 is your problem and sure may not be, but M$ has stated that Q811493 can cause some major performance problems and slow loading times in XP. The unistall sure helped my XP ! but I don't have CS

BB gave ya lots of good stuff

Thanks for all the help. I'm trying to work on it.

What graphics update do i need if i have NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64.

I don't want to download the wrong one.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Just grab the Nvidia Detonator Drivers for XP. They are suitable for all Nvidia cards.

Driver Page

Download Link

Supastar hit the dog in the testicles with his response.. and it growled gloriously!
    hehehe

that should help you out very much indeed. If not post back and we can find some other solution.