Thread: A problem with my scanner or my hdwe/software

A problem with my scanner or my hdwe/software

Hi:

Honestly, I am at a loss as to what is happening. Here's the situation. I have Windows XP and overall my computer is working quite well. My scanner is a Microtek 5700; its use has been moderate or even less. It has two types of operation. One is that it makes a quick scan right off, you set a few parameters and click "save" whereupon it does a slower scan and saves it as you directed. This ALWAYS works.

The other modus operandi is where you go to a screen and set parameters for such things as scan, copy, email...etc. and click "OK". Then you press a scan button on the scanner itself, or a copy button or an email button. Well, this works efficiently when it works...BUT...there are 'IFs" It works if I have just booted. No problem. If I use the computer for general activities, nothing demanding, it will still work...except that after the computer has been in use or sitting idle for, say, 1-2 hours or more, the physical buttons produce no response at all. Nada...Nothing! If I reboot I am all set for x amount of time. (I should note that sometimes 1 press of the button works; other times one press turns the light on the scanner on (should it BE off) and then a 2nd. push of the button causes the buttons and process to work beautifully.) This is only till the computer has been on a while as noted earlier.

Now, just 2-3 weeks ago I downloaded and, per the precise instructions of the Microtek techs, I installed the latest version of the software in safe mode. No problem. Things worked. I can't say how long this lasted, but I currently have the problem I describe.

I wrote the techs back and said: "But I followed your instructions to the letter and it works beautifully after every reboot." I politely added that I wondered if it might not be a software problem since it works fine after EVERY reboot...even after 4 or 5 reboots. I can add that they said it would need repair by them and it would cost $100-150 + shipping both ways. Yuck! They're in California; I'm in New England. It cost $250 14 months ago.

It's been 24 hours since I wrote back--no response as yet--but they may still answer.

I should appreciate your input greatly. COULD it be a hardware or physical defect in some physical part? Could it not be equally a software glitch? What can I do or try?

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Titanium Member
    Sorry I can't help - but just a comment -

You can get a 5900 for $135 or less. I had the 4900, but had problems with it. I contacted Microtek and they were frustrating to deal with (I sent e-mails to them and it seemed like they would not even read them - they would just reply informing me to download new drivers on their site - I told them the links were broken - I told them 3 times then gave up when they just kept repeating themselves. I returned the scanner to Best Buy and bought a Canon at Costco.
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 9th, 2003 at 01:19 AM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    So you don't feel like the lone ranger,I have been given 2 scanners that don't work from customers of my business.Warranties are past and the cost of repair is more than a new scanner.Solution;since your use is moderate or less chalk it up as a loss and buy a lower end usb scanner.I bought a HP 4300c and it does everything I need for my moderate to less usage and I paid $79.Or,contact PC World magazine(or equivalent) and make a case for the poor support you are recieving for a rather expensive scanner that should work.The mag may be able to advocate for you.Good luck I hope you get your problem solved.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Why not unplug it when it is not in use. Does it work fine if you hot plug it in?

How often do you need to scan? If you are not a heavy user, then rebooting might be acceptable.

Have you tried using the product with another OS? How does it work? If you can try using it with another operating system. And see if you get the same results. If so, then it is most likely a hardware issue. IF not then you know it is an OS issue.. and you can do a dual boot, or switch back to the older OS when you need to do scanning.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me, and I'm with LK and ZIpp, if after you have exhausted all other possibilities, it might be time to get a new one.

OK:

Thanks to everyone who responded.

BB: I think you're right that it's worth rebooting for the rather few occasions when I need to use it as a copier. (For normal scanning of a picture it works beautifully.) I like the copy-email 1-touch button feature, but that was what contributed to the $220 cost so a new equal version would cost me that.

I'd be indeed tempted to try it on another computer if I had access to one.

Microtek has not answered my follow-up letter taking polite issue with their brief and inadequate response to my initial request for their help. I wrote back on or before May 8). It kind of disgusts me--If I do get another scanner sometime, it won't be a Microtek one. But they run their business their way and that is their right.

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I'd write them continously until you get a response, also, if you can get a phone number that usually helps 100 times more than email or written correspondence. Look in your manual for their tech support hotline. Be careful though because tech support can cost you per minute on the phone.

I'd use the one you have until it becomes unbearable and then I'd pick up a new one at a cheap price, wait for a bargain at bestbuy or on the internet.

In fact, if walmart accepted international credit cards, I would have purchased this one for myself:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A79425%3A37808

it's refurbed, but I consider that proof that it works correctly

98.99 is a hard price to beat for all that that machine does.
    I actually compared that one to the Lexmark model that is nearly the same size, and the HP blew it out of the water in terms of print quality and speed.
    Last edited by Big Booger; May 11th, 2003 at 23:47 PM.