Thread: Problems!!

Arrow Problems!!

Hi,
    I am having a lot of trouble with my internet explorer. I have all of the updates and i recently upgraded my operating system from ME to XP Pro. My IE keeps on shutting down on me for no apparent reason. It happens quite often and it is getting annoying. Sometimes my AIM will also shut down asking if I want to DEBUG which doesn't work. The DEBUG button for IE doesn't work either.

Does anyone seem to know how to fix this problem?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Hi bous978,

The rule of thumb for upgrading from an older operating system to xp is "Don't".Instead choose clean install.Many people have tried what you have done with the same results.The programs and drivers and dll file that intergrate make a mess of things.Best thing to do is back up stuff from the old op sys and reinstall to a clean xp and run in compatability mode if needed.And xp has a restore program which you can create a restore point before you install anything that way you can recover easily.Good luck.
    Last edited by zipp51; May 17th, 2003 at 10:34 AM.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Thats good advise from zipp51.Whenever possible always do a clean install.

One thing you can do straight away is go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab.

Put a check next to Disable script debugging and uncheck Display a notification about every script error.Then Click apply.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

How do i acutally reformat and install a clean xp system after backing up my files. Should I run a clean install off the XP disk, or do I need to do something else first?

Thanks.

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Exclamation boot from cd

once you have everything backed up boot from the xp cd and do a clean install that way, you;ll get to format your hd through the proccess fo bootign form the cd,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

THANKS!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Remember your doing a clean install with the XP CD so if your XP is the upgrade version you'll need a ME or 98 CD when XP ask's for your qualifying OS.

Here's an
    XP installation guide

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Fastgame gave you an excellent guide as a reference to doing this. With that guide it should be a flawless installation. Good luck and let us know how you get on with it.