Thread: Emachines New laptop

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Emachines New laptop

http://store.emachines.com/emachines...111&action=new

What do you guys think about this?

have a look at the specs:
    Extreme Multimedia to Go

You'll marvel at the tremendous performance and power contained in the M5305's thin, sleek profile. It's designed for users who require the freedom and flexibility to be productive no matter where they are. And it's got features that will satisfy any die-hard multimedia enthusiast.
    Digital 15.4" Widescreen
    Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M processor 2200+ with QuantiSpeed™ Architecture*
    Large 40 GB hard drive
    512 MB DDR memory for optimal performance
    Enjoy your favorite movies or listen to music and burn CDs on the DVD/CD-RW combo drive
    Crisp stereo sound with built-in speakers
    AMD PowerNow!™ Technology for extended battery life
    *QuantiSpeed architecture operates at 1.800 GHz for rapid execution of applications.

All for about $1240 US.

Considering it, that or a P4 3.06GHZ 1gb ram, RAdeon 9000, etc... but it is considerably more expensive.
    :P

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Nice specs Boogs.
    eMachines apparently didn't have a good reputation back in the nineties.But they have steadily improved over the years.

Here's some c|net reader reviews for you to look at http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...tml?tag=subnav

System Details.
    Processor Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M processor 2200+ (1.800 GHz) with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
    Memory 512 MB DDR (PC2100)
    Hard Drive 40 GB
    Display 15.4" Widescreen TFT LCD WXGA (1280 x 800 max. resolution)
    Optical Drive DVD/CD-RW Combo (CD-read 24x; CD-write 24x; CD-rewrite 10x; DVD-read 8x)
    Video ATI® RADEON™ IGP 320M
    Sound PC2001 Compliant AC '97 Audio
    Stereo Speakers
    Modem 56K* ITU v.92 Ready Fax/Modem
    Network 10/100Mbps Built-in Ethernet Card
    Internet Access AOL service included**
    Ports / Other 3 USB ports, 1 VGA external connector, 1 Parallel Port, 1 S–Video Out, 1 PS/2 Port, Microphone In, Line Out, PCMCIA Slots (Card Bus type I and type II)
    Pointing Device Touchpad with vertical Scroll Zone
    Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    Dimensions 1.36"h x 14.0"w x 10.0"d
    Weight 6.5 lbs. with battery
    Battery 8-cell Lithium-ion (Li-ion)
    Warranty Standard 1 year
    Last edited by Reverend; May 18th, 2003 at 12:01 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I just wished it had a separate video card, like a Radeon 9000 or Geforce 4 440 2GO or something like that..

other than that this laptop is a nice machine. Thanks for the reviews that proves helpful.. now if I could only get the commander in chief to approve.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Looking at the specs and the short reviews on the laptop, it looks to be a good deal. The reviews are all positive and I didn't find anything negative regarding it.

I'd say though, if given a chance, get the extended warrenty on the laptop. Still not too sure about eMachines track record.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    )I have an eMachines, from 3 years ago. IT sucks, but it was really good for the money You get what you pay. That was a desktop, and didn't have an AGP slot, so I was always stok with i810 graphcs. My sister bought another eMachines desktop 6 months ago, and I was surprised how much they improved quality, without raising price. Still is not a great machine, but it is more than enought for my sister (too much maybe )
    Now, I remember it was difficult to download drivers for it, so check the drivers before. If you are like me, probably, you will waipe out the HDD and install the OS again (then again, with XP you might ot need that)
    I think eMachines is very good for anyody in a budget, but for desktop side. I can buy this PC for my grandmother, or an ant that only surf the net.
    I don't know about latops and eMachines, but I think that for 1200 you could find something else around, though not so beefed up. I would look for an opinion of a power user before.
    I am a really tought customer, so I do look around a lot usually

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    this was from a quick search while looking for stuff at work.
    Just to give you a comparason
    Acer TravelMate 234LCi
    Or
    Toshiba Satellite 1130-S155
    What???? You want something cheaper??/
    What about IBM ThinkPad G40 for 967$?
    I know 2.2 XP Mobile 512 RAM and 40 GB HHD sounds good, but it is not good if the system doesn't all go along with it, and we know that 4200rpm 40 GB cost 229$
    so that is why I suggest getting an opinion from a power user with that machine. Plus, you don't want it really fragile either