Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power PCs

Power PCs

Received my June issue of Maximum PC yesterday and again was not disappointed. There were two reviews for monster machines in this issue. One was from I Buypower and the other was from OC system. I won't list all components however:

I Buypower Titanium XP
    3GHzPentium 4c
    800 MHz bus MB
    ATI 9800 Pro 128 MB video
    1 gig DDR 400
    $2395

OC System Orion Behemoth
    3.58GHz Pentium 4b (overclocked from 3.06GHz)
    Abit IT7-MAX MB
    512 PC3500 (DDR400)
    9700 Pro 128 MB Video
    OC Systems guarantees stability of overclocked systems.
    $2842

Results:
    Sysmark 2000................. IBuy 320 ..............OC 310
    Premier 6.01.............................315................No Result
    3D Mark 2001 SE.......................83.5 fps.........No Result

The OC machine was so unstable that it could not finish most of the testing. This is the first time I have seen a system review that was so negative. They called the system a ticking time bomb and stated that overall instability is reason enough to stay away.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Sounds interesting enough.. a tad bit pricey, but if performance is your forte, then you have to pay to play.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Power PC always look interesting. If I had the money I would buy a machine from Voodoo computers or from Alienware though.
    Since I don't have the money, I build it myself with time
    PS, since efc posted benchmarks, what about is TZ people agreed in a benchmarking system and we posted hardware with its result?
    It would make a good comparason with REAL systems, right?

It might be fun to watch you guys with the monster machines duke it out. Everyone would have to use the same test, same version.

The reason I used test results in the original post, was not to illustrate how good the I Buypower machine was. It was to show that you could spend nearly $3000 and end up with a system that was totally unstable.
    Last edited by efc; May 21st, 2003 at 12:28 PM.

Certainly it would be silly to pay 3000 grand on a machine that is unstable, but I think it only became unstable when they overclocked it..

So I am guessing factory clocked settings worked fine?

Also did it only become unstable at the max overclock speeds? Or was it unstable throughout?

This machine is sold in the overclocked state. MaximumPC balked at including the machine sent to them for testing.

Their statement: "After all, overclocking a single 3.06GHz Pentium to 3.6GHz is possible if you have a generous processor with lots of headroom, but repeating that feat for hundreds, maybe thousands, of CPUs is unlikely at best".

OC, balked at their balking, to use their words. So they tested the machine as submitted and sold.

That is the reason I posted the results. Beware of buying this system.

From the article: "We thought we would need to run repeated stress-test to prove that the OC system was capable of running without incident for long periods of time, but it took only our normal benchmark suite to prove that the rig was a ticking time bomb. It couldn't run our simple Adobe Premiere 6.01 benchmark, and it required multiple SYSmark2002 runs to even record a final result. And sadly, despite the videocard's huge heat pipe, the rig never made it through a single run of 3dMark2001 SE."
    Last edited by efc; May 21st, 2003 at 13:27 PM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I saw the ads for overclocked systems,and I think it is rediculous.If someone is so interested in buying an overclocked computer then surely they can build their own and save over a grand.But then again for the buyer money must be no object and they probably don't care to do the research for building such a machine.You can easily fry components if you don't know what your doing.Small market if you ask me and may as well buy an Alienware gaming system they are more dependable.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I would never buy an overclocked system to begin with..

I wonder if they got their money back from the system that they tested

hehehe

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar

Exclamation Warranty?

I thought that OC voids your warranty, so who covers it now?

I guess then you could overclock it more, and if it burns out they would replace it, right?

But you're just looking for trouble if you buy an OC machine.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Good thought cash.. I guess the company that sells it produces the warranty.. but with the manufacturer you are definitely out of luck.

It seems like a stupid thing to do, but I can imagine some people would like the fastest machine possible.. overclocked or not.

Here is a link to OC system. The OC Behemoth is the system discussed above. I can see how people might get sucked into buying this thing.

Link to OC
    Last edited by efc; May 22nd, 2003 at 15:41 PM.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    okay where's shadow_warez in all this?

Anyways, cash is definately right. OC voids the manufacturer warranty. Makes you wonder though on the OC system, is that a real 3.58 GHZ or just a lower one that has been OC'd?

Also, with the system failing that much, it's obvious that they didn't OC it well either...

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Originally posted by efc
    It might be fun to watch you guys with the monster machines duke it out. Everyone would have to use the same test, same version.
    I'm waiting for the "religious type" person to do his upgrade

Alienware is the way to go for high end pre-built but you can build the same thing for much $$$ less, don't know about Voodoo computers but I like the name.

Now if only I could get that green bug head case

You don't know Voodoo computers???
    I mean, is not that they are famous like Alienware, or sell as much as Dell, but they are nice to watch. If I had extra money (a lot of extra money) to burn I would get a Voodoo
    What is great is the finishing in the paint, and how they fold the cables in what they called Origami style

PSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHH
    Wow, I went and tried to build a system
    Like the most expensive one, and I passed the 10K
    Whith that money I can buy a car, not a computer, and a cool car too.
    (should I know since I bought a new car yesterday)