Thread: Nvidia nForce Drivers 2.42 WHQL (2000/XP Only)

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

Nvidia nForce Drivers 2.42 WHQL (2000/XP Only)

Nvidia has just released an updated driver package for NForce chipsets (couple of days after 2.41). The new package has some updates and apparently they have removed the infamous IDE driver.

NOTE: For XP and 2000 only.

Release Notes
    May 22 update: removed nForce IDE driver in the 2.42 kit
    WHQL certified kit for nForce and nForce2
    Includes support for nForce2 400 and nForce2 Ultra 400
    Update audio performance fixes for EAX supported games
    Update audio control panel

Update:Nvidia have pulled the 2.42's from the drivers page,and have reverted back to v2.03.

View more details: XP | 2000
    Last edited by Reverend; May 24th, 2003 at 07:59 AM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    The links don't work

I think it's bull that Nvidia makes you download the display drivers with this, do all Nforce 2 people have Nvidia GFX cards ? do all the Nforce 2 people that have Nvidia cards always want the new display drivers ?

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Exclamation heck no, they blow =)

when i had my A7N8X Deluxe it always installed display + Sounds and sound drivers,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

mmmm...interesting.

Nvidia have pulled the 2.42's, and have reverted back to the 2.03's.

From Nvidia drivers page.
    Updated May 23, 2003: If you have previously downloaded the 2.41 or 2.42 nForce kits and have experienced any problems please follow these instructions on how to re-install previous drivers.
    Drivers page: XP | 2000
    Last edited by Reverend; May 24th, 2003 at 07:57 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    man,
    What is up with the nforce product drivers.. Are they that bad? Any of you who have nforce2, do you recommend an upgrade to nforce2? Or should we stay away from the chipset?

Originally posted by Big Booger
    man,
    What is up with the nforce product drivers.. Are they that bad? Any of you who have nforce2, do you recommend an upgrade to nforce2? Or should we stay away from the chipset?
    The IDE drivers from Nvidia are giving people problems, the CD/DVD rom's & CD-R/RW drives disapear plus on restart the HD would spin down to a complete stop before restarting, also games with safedisk copy protection would require the CD (even with no CD patch) for play...kind of hard if your CD rom's are gone the M$ IDE drivers work fine.

The Nforce 2 chip set is top of the line for AMD CPU's, with it's adjustable AGP buss & locked PCI buss it's an Overclockers dream, The dual channel mode is a bit of Hype unless the board comes with onboard GFX chip. In dual channel mode the Nf 2 seems to be picky on ram when running @200/200+ FSB, in single channel mode doesn't seem to have a problem.

Upon release it seems the biggest problem (most reported anyway) with Nf 2 was Bios corruption & death from a bad OC or simple bios change save & exit....looks like the newest Revisions have cut down on this. Having worked with a few of these boards plus owning 2 myself this is one problem I can't even relate to...i've made many bios changes and had some bad OC's & never had a bios die. Anyway I don't care about this because I know how to hot swap bios chip & reflash

Originally posted by Big Booger
    do you recommend an upgrade to nforce2? Or should we stay away from the chipset?
    Until VIA comes out with something better without all the VIA problems then Nforce 2 is the best performing, least troublesome AMD chip set in my book !

Go get one today
    Last edited by FastGame; May 24th, 2003 at 13:44 PM.

Originally posted by FastGame
    Until VIA comes out with something better without all the VIA problems then Nforce 2 is the best performing, least troublesome AMD chip set in my book !
    Well i have to say,from a personal point of view,i have never had a problem with any Via chipset boards that i have used.

I know a lot of people have had issues with Via.But i still think their chipsets are much more stable than nForce 1/2.

But that's just my opinion.

In fact my next upgrade,(hopefully in a few weeks),will be an Abit KD7-S mobo using the Via KT400 chipset,and an AthlonXP 2600 (333fsb).

That's my point exactly, some have problems no matter what they have & some don't.....kinda like Win XP

Many consider the Abit KD7-S the finest VIA board ever, is it more stable than the Abit NF7-S ? I doubt it but thats my opinion

you will be happy with your upgrade

I have only had one problem with the NForce 2 board and that was nvidesm Aspi drivers wouldnt allow me to burn anything. So I had to install Blindwrites Panti Couffin drivers and now all is fine.
    When I had a VIA chipset board my USB devices would stop working after running the system for a while. Which was a major pain as I use a USB Cordless keyboard/mouse.
    Im currently running the NForce 2.00 drivers and all is sweet so Im in no rush to upgrade until Nvidia release drivers that Im happy with
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules