Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: really slow dialup

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

really slow dialup

hye guys recently my dialup speed went from 53.2 to 45.3 kbs. yeah dont laugh. I've tried about half a dozen different local #'s and did a viral check and spyware. All clean any suggestions. It doesn't matter what time of day or night getting consistantly 45.3. starting to get under my skin I know what FG feels like

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Check your line for noise,also check with your ISP to see if the problem is at their end.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    How's the weather? been raining recently? Moisture, I found when i was on Dialup effects speed.

But as Reverend suggested, try with your phone company, they can send a technician out to check the line for noise, and might be able to improve your speed.

You could also try modem binding to double your current speed, but your ISP must support it and you'd need a second 56K modem that supports it as well.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Reverend had a good idea with checking with ISP, sometimes they might change configuration of their modems, and if your's doesn't match, then you get reduced speed.

Check for updated drivers for modem.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Go into your modem properties from the phone and modem icon in your control panel. Disable your flow control and add "AT&F" (obviously with out the quotation marks and in CAPs) in the extra settings field. This disables v90 data compression which only 20% of people even have access to. If you don't notice any changes from there you may want to drop you maximun port speed to 57600. If the problem does stem from a line issue, this should help your modem talk to the POP server a bit easier, hence increasing your connection speed.

Hex

thanks for the advice Hex, I have ATM0 string now, to add extra strings do you use a ";" or "," I forgot.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    lol....phish

hey I just applied the tweaks that Hex suggest but there must be something wrong before the tweak I was getting 46.5 Kbps and after the tweaks I'm getting 115.2 Kbps....is that even possible ? please say it is cuz it will be like I just got broadband

The connect speed can be a false indicator. The through-put is the key to modem speed.

Another tweak for dial-up: Change MTU to 576.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Thanks for poping my bubble efc

something must be faster cuz adds on the web pages are now like streaming video, before I could read the news before they loaded

efc I will try your "MTU to 576" tweak....fingers X, hope this will last & doesn't crash like a bad OC

what reg key is the mtu under and also how do you seperate 2 strings in the advanced field. I use ATM0 to turn off the handshake noise.

well I del atm0 and added the string also changed mtu to 576 with boogs help and sure enough tried 3x and connected at 53.3 each time. x my fingers will try during heavy business hrs and see what I connect at. now hex how do I add the atm0 back in. I hate the squelling of my modem like to turn that off if I could.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Originally posted by phishhead
    and also how do you seperate 2 strings in the advanced field.
    It's ages since i used a 56k modem.
    From memory,i think you just need to add a space between each command.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Some good sites for modem support.

GWI Support

Ask Mr. Modem

And the one that contains many generic multiple function strings is Modem Init strings
    This page answers your question on how to separate codes.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hey all,
    Phishhead, if the init string you have in there already is modem specific then don't worry about the AT&F, it's just a generic string to disable v90. The reg tweak is some good advice to. Theres another tweak for enlarging your DNS cache but I can't remember it right now. I'll let you know if it comes to me. As for the dude who was getting readings over 100, that is definately a misreading. Even 56k is impossible. I won't go into details on that, but trust me, it is. However despite the fact that it's a false reading I think you can see the change and I'm not suprised its with the ads that your noticing this.
    Lets all of us on broadband sit a spell and remember back in the days of narrowband where a page would be loading and would just hang there. Sometimes you have to refresh or sometimes if you just sat there it would eventually come up, even though it pulled 10 times slower. This comes from intermittent packet loss. If you lose to much of the data that your downloading a page, it'll keep on retrying untill it has all of the data. One of the things that slows the download of a page down is pop up ads, especially since alot of them will load first befor the actual page (not always though of course.) By dropping the port speed your slowing down how fast your modem "talks" to the server and even though techniqally you are lowing down your connection, you will actually speed up page load time if your connection suffers from intermitent packet loss.
    Whoa, didn't mean to go off for so long. I just wanted to explain to that dude why and how it worked for him on his computer.

Peace out,
    Hex

Heres that DNS cache tweak (only for XP) -

Copy and paste the following into a .txt file:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]
    "CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001
    "CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180
    "MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000fa00
    "MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000012d

Name it dnscache.reg and merge it into the regestry. This will enlarge your dns cache.

Hex