Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNR and AMR slots

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

CNR and AMR slots

What are they good for? What kind of products use them?
    Thanks.

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

well i now what amr are for

the amr slots are a dial up slot supposedly its like half a modem, if yo uthrou a modem in thier its acts as a duel modem as i beleave it lol, my Kt 333 ultra Deulxe has one, it looks like the agp slot, just smaller,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I know - off the top of my head - that a CNR is a Communications Network Riser. I believe it's a connection for network cards, but to date, I haven't come across any compatible hardware at my local few stores. My board supports it but given that I can pick up a 10/100 network card for less than $AU30 I dont see much point.

Without doing a bit of research I cant tell you what an AMR slot is for, and being the lazy type, I'll let one of you guys tell me about them.

amr is..

is for your modem ,like the cnr its a riser card for your phone line, my kt board has one not sure why but that boards only temp till get my good ol A7N8X Deluxe, hope its not a Refurbished one the thing still cost me $290 with tax lol,

so they are both for modems? Seems like a waste if they don't support anything else.

This is what I found:

Intel is leveraging the idea of its Audio/Modem Riser (AMR) standard for a new standard, called the Communications/Network Riser (CNR).

AMR slots allow motherboard manufacturers to create, test, and verify audio and modem devices separately from the design of their motherboards. The AMR slot is appearing on some motherboards nowadays, but is regarded with disdain by many power users who take issue with the AMR device stealing CPU cycles to make the modem and audio work properly.

Intel's new idea would place the focus on a network card riser, perhaps with modem functions, USB, and SMBus (System Management Bus) as well. Intel's new CNR slot would allow motherboard manufacturers to more easily place network cards on their motherboard solutions, without needing to take the additional time to verify them for interference along with the motherboard itself.

Interestingly, it appears that the CNR riser may be more limited than the AMR riser in some respects. The AMR riser supports a primary codec and up to three secondary analog codecs. The CNR card supports only a single secondary analog codec.
    Last edited by Big Booger; May 26th, 2003 at 09:43 AM.

good tid bit of info

good, i knew it was audio or somethin, im glad my courses helped me rember somethign bout that lol,

Re: CNR and AMR slots

Originally posted by Big Booger
    What are they good for? What kind of products use them?
    Thanks.
    A total waste of space on my mb, would simply prefer a another pci slot
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Re: Re: CNR and AMR slots

Originally posted by zErO
    A total waste of space on my mb, would simply prefer a another pci slot
    Same here but the onboard stuff is so good on my mb that they could get rid of the PCI slots & give me some more IDE

I wonder why they even have AMR and CNR if no one is using them.. seems like a total waste..

As for onboard stuff, like sound, networking, and the like, does the quality not suffer because it is integrated? I am on a motherboard that didn't have anything.. just the board.. I had to add all the extras..

How does onboard compare with addon or addin type features? Is it competitive these days?
    Thanks

On my ASUS A7N8X-D~ Soundstorm audio (anolog out) is on par with Audigy X Gamer card that I have, Soundstorm (digital out) is better than (&uses less CPU) the Audigy2 ! IMO if you have Soundstom then your wasting money on a sound card...that is unless for some reason Soundstorm doesn't work....

Also have dual Lan (3Com & Nvidia Nic) works great and then there's 6 USB 2.0 ports & a lil riser for even more I have 5 PCI slots and only use 1 for modem

of coarse if you get a board with eveything onboard then there's that chance that something won't work...but if it does then I'd say it's for the most part as good as PCI cards.

[edit]= want too add that the SiliconImage SATA controlier that is onboard the ASUS is a pice of crap compaired to the Promis controlier that is on some of the other boards.....
    Last edited by FastGame; May 27th, 2003 at 13:39 PM.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I was under the impression that on board components are slower that their individual counterparts, but I guess over time, technology/performance has improved.

My board has "nothing but the board" which works fine for me since I like to choose my graphics/sound cards based on price/performance. On a budget PC integrated video would be fine I suppose, but these days even the integrated video is better that the separate AGP card I have. LOL

Of course most of my PCI slots are gone..NIC, TV Tuner, SoundBlaster, Modem, that leaves two (my board has 6 PCI slots, 1 AGP and 1 CNR - which has never been used )

I guess the downside to having it all onboard, would be if the board goes bad, so does the addons, but then most of the all in one boards are not that expensive so it can be replaced for under $200.00.

Just got a new board today.......and guess what no AMR slot
    I decided to give Epox a go and see how their boards fair to the other brands Ive had. Went with the EP- 8RDA+ so Im keen to see how these Nvidia NForce 2 boards stack up.
    It has 6 pci, 1 agp, 10/100 NIC and onboard sound which I will never use.
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Originally posted by zErO
    Just got a new board today.......and guess what no AMR slot
    I decided to give Epox a go and see how their boards fair to the other brands Ive had. Went with the EP- 8RDA+ so Im keen to see how these Nvidia NForce 2 boards stack up.
    It has 6 pci, 1 agp, 10/100 NIC and onboard sound which I will never use.
    :yblob: hope you have a good review....might have time too save Reverend....

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar
    these slots as mentioned are mainly for adding "modem" and "network" support to the motherboard

Unfortunately this is good way for manufacturers who build "pre-built" machines, however in reality the modem or network card you add is not like a PCI equivalent

they are basically "software" modems/nics instead of "hardware" modems/nics and rely on the CPU & M/B to provide the power to drive them, hence they steal CPU power when in use

Basically its the cheap skate way to provide this items, and as someone mentioned it would be far more use to stick an extra pci slot on the M/B

Steer clear