My computer with 40 GB HD was partitioned c:\WinXP and d:\Red Hat Linux. My wife and son also use my computer. Neither liked the Grub boot manager dialog so I decided, to keep family peace, to remove the Linux. A few quick checks did not produce the uninstall method so I opted to remove Linux partition and resize the WinXP partition. That operation worked OK. On reboot I find that Grub remained active with Linux still shown. Noticing that there was an "e" edit option, I deleted the Linux entry. When that didn't get desired result, I deleted the Win98 entry. At this point the boot freezes at Grub with no option to move further. After hours of failed attempts to resolve the issue, I open my parts drawer and build another machine.

On the new machine, WinXP will not install. The ISO would not install on a clean partition on the old machine. I wasn't able to install it until I installed SE and then install XP on top of it. On this newly built machine XP would not install on an empty partition or as an upgrade. Help anyone.

The old machine will not boot. Does anyone know how to fix this mess?