Thread: Internet usage by IP address

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Internet usage by IP address

OK, lets see.
    The Internet access at work is getting really slow, so I want to find out the users that use the most bandwidth. Now, I appreciate any help, but consider me, like a dummy in this.
    I will give some background on the layout
    Internet access gets filtered at a proxy, which is out of my reach. Then there is a T1 line coming to here, and it goes to the Circuit, from there it goes to the gateway (Cisco Router 2500), and from there it goes to the switch (Cisco Catalyst). We use both DHCP and Static IP.
    I had set up a line between the gateway and the switch so I can do the statistics. Now, my question is:
    What software, and how should I set it up can I use for this purpose??
    The information that I would like to gather is IP address and bandwidth usage for the users. I was thinking to watch the traffic to the gateway, since that would mean Internet use. But so far I haven't been able to get this data. Also I need it to be easy looking.
    I noticed that during noon it gets so slow that cannot even surf to Yahoo (or TZ)
    Any help with this??
    Any Net admin interested in something similar, or that have done this???

I noticed that during noon it gets so slow that cannot even surf to Yahoo (or TZ)
    Can't help you on your problem but it looks as if you aren't the only one surfing at noon!

I don't usually surf at noon since I like to go out for lunch, preferably to Hooters.
    I love the buffalo Chicken Sandwich with Hot sauce there

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    LANScan Network Monitor records network activity and reports usage in real time via a powerful graphics interface. With LANScan you can quickly view bandwidth utilization, identify network users, view network activity by program type, locate problems, and more. LANScan Network Monitor makes long term network activity logging easy with a simple data logging facility that creates data which can easily be used in any reporting program. LANScan also includes Internet test functions like PING and TRACERT, logging of activity by MAC, IP, IPX and/or Domain name, fast installation, and more. LANScan requires no special hardware or software.
    This version improves LANScan's performance on larger networks, and adds ARP-based name resolution.

Download 1

Download 2

That might work for you DEHC, but it is a trial app.. you'll need to purchase a license to use it after the trial period.

Network Probe 0.4

The following link is only good for 24 hours:

http://www2.objectplanet.com/dl/d.as...73069050027212

but I think that software will also do what you need it to do.

The Probe Homepage for further information:

http://objectplanet.com/Probe/probe_10_offer.html

I believe if you contact Cisco directly they have a system called CiscoWorks2000 LAN Management Solution. this will provide extensive network discovery, display, configuration and data path tracing and and whole batch of other things as well. For more info on this go to Cisco.com and type in "network management products"

The only problem with the Cisco software is that I have no previous experience with Cisco in the management area. That wouldn't a big problem since trying is learning but the router is not under my management, but it is from the state, so I don't have a login access for it.
    I will try to see if I can get a login for the router, since after all it is at my office.
    Well, another thing, I was running some apps. Not the ones here recomended, but here is what I got so far.
    1). Not all activity was reported
    2). Activity reported was minimun. For Example, max download from single user was 5 MB in 2 hours, so I couldn't find the problem.
    3) it never listed the gateway, which means I cannot see the re-routing, making it difficult to see actual Internet activity.
    Basically I think that it only gave me data from the activity of the machine I was using. And what I want is to monitor the activity to the Internet which has to pass thru the router-gateway with IP XXX.XXX.XXX.1
    Maybe I am configuring something wrong.
    Any help?

Try this app:
    http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

The Multi Router Traffic Grapher (MRTG) is a tool to monitor the traffic load on network-links. MRTG generates HTML pages containing graphical images which provide a LIVE visual representation of this traffic. Check http://www.ee.ethz.ch/stats/mrtg/ for an example. MRTG is based on Perl and C and works under UNIX and Windows NT. MRTG is being successfully used on many sites around the net.

MRTG History

Download

Windows Install Guide

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Why cant you look at the proxy serer information. Our Proxy server at University gives some information about traffic and which IP etc.

look at proxy.latrobe.edu.au

but that LANscan program looks good

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

The proxy server is not ours. It is from the state which is out ISP, and I already requested the information from them, but I got a "No can Do" as a response
    So I am trying to do something from this end.
    Honestely, it would be a much cleaner data from the proxy server, since I only want to know the access to Internet, and not traffic thru the LAN. I think there is bandwith to spare, considering the switch is a catalyst, and half of the LAN's PC are only Pentium II I am one of the heavier users here, and I onlysurf the net, chat (upps) and download updates. I don't even run databases programs (most users do) and my usage is higher (better machine, more mb)
    I am convinced there is some misuse of the bandwith somewhere. Probably from only one spot

Originally posted by cash_site
    but that LANscan program looks good
    I tried LAN scan but it will report only to 100 in statistic, and nothing relevant came up. That is why I was wondering if I had actually set it up right
    Tomorrow I will have back the PC I was using (I had to give it temporay extra use) and I will be doing more scanning

that other resource I posted might be better suited to your needs and is free. MTRG has lots of documentation, works in both Win32 and Unix environments and provides lots of information about networks.
    Try it out and tell us what you think.