Thread: dns suffix probs,

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Question dns suffix probs,

heres a odd one iv looked and tryed to change the dns suffix of my comp but its not taking effect is thier other places im missing?
    how do i keep it ed.shawcable.ca it the connection specific dns suffix used to be ed.shawcable.ca, now its this odd one, iv looked and cant find a place to change it, i tryed flushdns, i tryed ad-aware, would the virus form my notebook spread to my pc like nimda did?

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Network Connections Settings

1. Click on the Start button and choose Control Panel from the list.

2. From the list of Control Panels, choose Network and Internet Connections.

3. If you do not see the control panel, look in the top left corner of this window for the button labeled gSwitch to Catagory Viewh and click to select that view. Then look for Network and Internet Connections again and choose it from the list.

4. In the Network and Internet Connections screen that appears, choose Network Connections at the bottom right corner of that window.

5. In the Network Connections window that appears, you should see a Local Area Connection on the right hand side of the window. If you have more than one Local Area Connection listed, please see the section below about Cleaning Out the Network Connections.

6. Double click on this icon and then choose the Properties button from the screen that appears. This should open up the Local Area Connection Properties Window:

7. Make sure that on the General Tab "Connect using:" lists your ethernet adaptor. Then highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the list and click on Properties.

Where it says You should choose
    Obtain an IP address automatically Checked
    obtain DNS server addresses automatically Checked

8. Click on Advanced and switch to the DNS tab. Under DNS suffix for this connection type in {YOUR DNS SUFFIX}. Click on OK then on OK again and finally on Close.

You may need to restart your machine for these changes to take effect

Hopefully that will help you shadow.

sadly i just whent through that 30 mins ago

i just did it before iread your post, it dawned on me to try it thanks to my $320 NA Book form school i read throughv the first 2 chapeters and tryed a few theorys, this being one of them, it tis still being a pain ,so i loaded my Av scanners, and found 243 viru's lurking in my system,everytign is from a clean format, lol 1 week only thing i have on here so far has been my server softwarec from MS, and perfect disc, ad-aware, and my chipset Drivers, now my notebook was the comp that had the virus's so i cleaned it, but those irc trojans jumped through my lines to my router, then hit my pc, i just hope it cant infect a xbox, but in my router config i can install Pc cillian and zone alram to stop this kind of jumping around to diff pc's, thanx for helping out lol i was bout to start burning things J/K, ill try a few more theorys accroding to this NA book and see what i come up with if not ill postand maybe thiers something im missin, if not ill do a low level format,

Exclamation I fixed it!

after trying everything i formatted, lol it clean now, i loaded my av scanners, my routers defences are up pc cillion and zone alarm are armed, thier built into the firware i updated so it should help the spred of virus's through my network,

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Well at least you are back in business.