Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prevent Telephone Electricity overload

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Prevent Telephone Electricity overload

My mom just got the trusty old PC zapped through the telephone dialup connection..

She will be getting some new components shortly and I am wondering if there is some kind of surge protector for the telephone connection between the PC and telephone jack? Also what kind of power surge protector do you all recommend? I know some of you are certified electricians so I shall respect your opinion and will use it to adise my mother.
    Thanks for any responses.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    There are phone line voltage regulators available. On my set-up, one of my UPS boxes has a phone line jack. The newer ones should all have this.

That is the exact thing I am looking for. Any suggestions on brand, model, etc...

Looking for a surge protector that has the built in phone line regulator and comes with a suitable warranty in case the protection fails.

Open to suggestions. What are you all using personally?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hey I always get lots of repairs (phone line blows PC) after the storms in Michigan, in most cases just the modem is blown. Guess Mother got it real bad

I have This one and it works great but there is one draw back the storm blew out the tele jacks on my first one & you can't reset (or mine didn't auto reset ??) them like the power side so I had to take it back and they gave me a new one.

Get a good one over 2,000 joules, as Mother would say...don't skimp on me you little booger....hehe

good information that I'll be sure to pass along.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar

Lightbulb

BB....you might consider investing in a modem that has onboard surge protection as a backup....Zoom makes one that is reasonably priced. APC is a good brand for battery back up as well as surge protection and they offer $25,000.00 equipment replacement if their products fail. Just a thought.

Thanks Piper. APC sounds like a ringer. And a modem with onboard surge protection I never even knew it existed. I am almost sure she will need a new modem, so I am going to research the zoom product offerings and I'll let you all know where we come out in the end.

Any more suggestions before we take the plunge and purchase?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    IMO,Belkin make the best surge protectors.They are very popular over here in the UK. Mainly due to their excellent support service and warranties.

Check out some of these ones.
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=20257

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=20211

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=20313

Main Belkin catalog here

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Rev is correct on the belkin products...they also carry good warranty coverage....we furnish that line with Dell sales...they also back their products with Big Buck coverage.

I just phoned my mom, and told her to pick up a Belkin Surge protector and to check the joules rating and make sure it is close to 2000.

I also told her to check on modems at best buy that offer the onboard surge protection.

Hopefully this won't happen again. Live and learn.

http://www.zoom.com/products/internal-modems.html

BB.
    link for you to check out the Zoom line...most offer the lightning portection..

thanks Piper. Checking Zoom out right now.

My UPS has telephone surge protection, I went for one that would offer me built-in ethernet protection. When I first got it I was a little worried about line degradation effecting my dsl connection. But after a few line speed tests I was quite assured that there was very little or no degradation at all running from the UPS to pc.
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Thanks PIPER for the Zoom links

Ok which of those modems at the link is the best one ? are they better than the Creative V90 Modem Blaster ?

I like that ZoomGuardTM lightning protection idea

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Wow, those were really fast answers. Anyways, they all gave you great suggestions. A good surge protector is essential, and good surge protectors will come with the telephone line plug on them. Some even bring coaxial connection too for the cable.
    I know you cannot get them at CompuSA for exmple the maximun Joules I had seen there was 750.
    For protection of the PC I would use a surge protector and an UPS. The surge protector to protect the UPS, and the UPS to protect agains sags. I had 2 yesterday alone, and it was quite difficult to restar the PC, since my PSU will block when that happens, in order to avoid damagind components. Nice feature.