Thread: Using a USB 2.0 2-port PCI card with a hub

Using a USB 2.0 2-port PCI card with a hub

Hi:

Right now I am using a hub; all my USB peripherals are 1.0. No problem.

But if I get a 2.0 card, I'm guessing I can still use that same hub. Be I correct?

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    should work, but the speed of all items will be the sum of the slowest factor in the chain. If you hook a 1.0 product into a 2.0 slot, you are only getting 1.0 speed.. not 2.0.

But AFAIK, they are backward compatible.

B.B is right
    your 1.0 usb will work with a 2.0 card but only at 1.0 speed, I looked into this myself a while back before I got a 2.0 usb board. Is your hub usb 2.0 supported or only for 1.0, you may want to look at some of the new usb 2.0 hubs
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Can you guy's give me a link for info on USB 1.0 & 2.0 where if USB 1.0 & 2.0 are hooked to same USB controlier speed for USB 2.0 will only be ~USB 1.0...or are you talking about if both are running at same time ?

My NF2 board is USB 2.0, the USB ports go to same controlier. I have both USB 1.0 & 2.0 devices hooked up and the USB 2.0 work ~USB 2.0 speed.

Also as far as I know there is no diffrence between USB 1.0&2.0 hubs/cables other than price, am I wrong ???
    Last edited by FastGame; June 9th, 2003 at 11:54 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I wasn't talking about say having USB 1.0 ports and 2.0 ports installed on the same machine.

I was referring to the fact that if you plug a 1.0 Device into a 2.0 port, it will only go as fast as 1.0.

So if he were to plug his 1.0 hub into the 2.0 PCI card, it will only go 1.0.

below is a decent link about 2.0 1.0 and 1.1:
    http://www.hp.com/cposupport/multifu.../bpu03056.html

and yet another site:
    http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

Hope that helps.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Ok I understand now, it was the
    should work, but the *speed of all items* will be the sum of the slowest factor in the chain.
    that got me confussed sorry

Thanks for links