Thread: Bic-sized Video Camera

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Bic-sized Video Camera

Sony Corp., under pressure from shareholders to release new products, on Tuesday unveiled a line of high-end audiovisual devices that the chief executive, Nobuyuki Idei, said would differentiate the Japanese company from its Chinese and South Korean rivals.

The world's No. 2 consumer-electronics maker announced four new products to be released under the "Qualia" brand - a projector, a color monitor, a digital-still camera and a compact disc audio system.

The devices will not be sold in stores; instead, they will be available by special order only.

The Qualia products, which Sony said would be priced at the high-end of the market, are the first result of a multiyear effort to stem shrinking profit margins and bolster a share price that has tumbled 50 percent in the past year.

Japan's technology industry "is now sandwiched, with the U.S. developing more intellectual property and China and South Korea selling cheaper-priced products," Idei told reporters at a briefing to unveil the new line. "Sony wants to make something different utilizing our new technologies."

-------------------------------------------------

This is one slick little camera. I wouldn't mind having one just to do a little videography every now and then. But unfortunately the camera costs about $3,216 US dollars. So you won't be seeing one in my possession any time soon.

Arrow: Source:
    Int'l Herald Tribune
    Last edited by Big Booger; June 12th, 2003 at 09:53 AM.

That is one neat little camera. I wonder if the price will ever come down.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If it came down to around $600-800 I wouldn't mind getting one

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    very NICE and SMALL camera, I did some work in USA working on small CMOS image sensors. We were developing the Credit card sized cameras. The technology to get them that small is AMAZING.

Im sure CIA or FBI will like them, more bugs to place

they dont have to worry about the price, but Im sure there will be some ppl out there to place special orders

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Some more on the camera.

Still More

With flash:

The compact digital camera "Q016-WE1" is small, measuring 41.8mm x 24.0mm x 7.0mm. It is equipped with a new image stabilizing technology that reduces the unsteadiness of pictures that often happens when using a small-sized camera. To keep the images stable, the camera is likely to take four still images serially at a very fast speed and combines them into one still picture. In this process, the camera prevents blurred pictures by picking up characteristic points of the image. It features a 1/2.7-inch CCD solid-state image pickup device, 2.1 million pixels and a progressive scan mode.

The camera adopts the "Memory Stick Duo" for its recording medium. The body with the Li-ion secondary battery and memory card weighs 50g. The camera is priced at 380,000 yen, including the flash unit, wide-angle lens, telephoto lens, and case

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Thor were they home photos ? :P You bought one!

hey BB what is 380,000 yen in US dollars??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Originally posted by cash_site
    Thor were they home photos ? :P You bought one!

hey BB what is 380,000 yen in US dollars??
    No I didn't buy one...............too expensive for me. When the price comes down. I'm not sure about the exchange rate on the yen.............somewhere around ~120 yen to the dollar. That'll be over $3100 US