Thread: Satellite gremlin

Satellite gremlin

I try to keep Techzonez members current on the problems that I have with satellite, in case some are considering this option. It is a big investment to move to satellite so you should know what to expect.

Late last week I started having problems with my internet connection. I had changed out some hardware earlier, so thought that I might have caused the problem. After spending time with tech support, they had me uninstall the Direcway software and reinstall. At this point it would not register. The final recommendation was to reinstall Win XP and start over.

Over the week-end, I made clean installs several times. Each time the Direcway soft would not load and would trip security via my anti-virus software (AVG free). Finally used HD utility to write "all zeros" to hard drive and installed Win XP again. By this time, my beard was getting long and the trash under my computer chair was two inches deep. This time the Direcway software installed and registered.

Performance was not good and many pages would not load. Still thinking the problem was mine, I call tech support. I found out that weather in their HQ area had greatly curtailed access. Most customers could not get on the system. Secondly, once that problem cleared up, they discovered that the link to the satellite I am on was on, was not working properly. They said the problem started last night. I believe it started last week.

Obviously, I am back up. The connection is working better than usual.

Satellite internet is better that dial-up, but If you have another broadband option - take it.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Interesting and frustrating!

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Hi EFC ,

I have Direcway,and have zero probs right now.When I used it on a win 98 computer I had some headaches like having to run the web setup utility from time to time but I think that was a usb problem.The thing I don't like is that I would have to shell out $479 for hardware and an additional $30/mo. to get their 2 way system.I still have to use dialup and an isp to connect with the satellite.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Zipp51-

It is good to know that there is someone else that can keep the information accurate. I am one of those people that is constantly changing hardware components and trying new things, just to see if it can be done. As a result, I break the setup often.

I am not sure from your post - Do you have the two-way system? If so, know that you do not absolutely have to have the separate dial-up account. The Direcway setup software will dial a toll free connection to complete the setup.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Thanks for the Info EFC,

I live in rural Australia (well no access to any sort of Broadband anyway, even dialup is 28k)

The only option is to use Satellite, we have access to one-way or two-way. I am still doing some research into it, I think there are only 3 or 4 ISPs with Satellite coverage... very POOR for australia!!

What would be the best option? what is the performance like?

Or should I simply move house

thanks.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Originally posted by efc
    Zipp51-

It is good to know that there is someone else that can keep the information accurate. I am one of those people that is constantly changing hardware components and trying new things, just to see if it can be done. As a result, I break the setup often.

I am not sure from your post - Do you have the two-way system? If so, know that you do not absolutely have to have the separate dial-up account. The Direcway setup software will dial a toll free connection to complete the setup.
    I have the 1 way right now and I use 4 browsers one of which is MSN8 which is my isp.BTW cashsite the satellite internet is very fast.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

thanks zipp51,

ive been quoted speeds of up to 400k, doesnt compare to 2mb DSL plans, but definitely better than 28k dialup

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I just ran five speed test over about a four minute interval. I used the Direcway speed test which tends to give lower results than some other test sites. These are the results:

1. 552 down / 156 up
    2. 1187 down / 154 up
    3. 843 down / 164 up
    4. 1120 down / 207 up
    5. 1311 down / 287 up

By the way, the up times are a big improvement over speeds that I was obtaining before the events discussed at the start of this thread. I had been getting up speeds between 9 and 33.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    You have a really decent connection when you average out those speeds. Too bad they cap your downloads

I suppose if I lived in an area where landline based broadband was unavailable, I'd be going with satellite internet.

Originally posted by Big Booger
    You have a really decent connection when you average out those speeds. Too bad they cap your downloads

I suppose if I lived in an area where landline based broadband was unavailable, I'd be going with satellite internet.
    I agree BB, the speed isnt too shabby. It is a pain living in a DSL-deprived area

But will have to invest in Satellite Technology

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    So the hardware is expensive? Have any of you priced ebay? I am sure there are many ex-satellite users who got ADSL or cable in their neighborhood and who are selling their practically unused exquipment at near bargain prices.

That could be a wise way to get into the satellite broadband arena.. other than the connection fees, and monthly service, you could save yourself quite a few pennies, if you went with used yet compatible equipment.

Just a thought.

Efc, has the gremlin returned?

Speed tests this morning, are all ofer the place.

The test is running...
    ** Speed: 1187(down)/217(up) kbps **
    (At least 35 times faster than a 33 kbps modem)
    Finish.

The test is running...
    ** Speed: 990(down)/128(up) kbps **
    (At least 30 times faster than a 33 kbps modem)
    Finish.

The test is running...
    ** Speed: 263(down)/164(up) kbps **
    (At least 7 times faster than a 33 kbps modem)
    Finish.

The test is running...
    ** Speed: 593(down)/237(up) kbps **
    (At least 17 times faster than a 33 kbps modem)
    cash_site - If you are seriously considering satellite, you should know what to expect. Browsing is faster than dial-up, but not a lot faster. The reason is the latency built into the process when the signal has to travel to the satellite then to ground, and the retrun trip. Satellite is not suitable for internet gaming.

Where satellite shines is downloading files. With a good connection and server on the far end, downloads can happen with blinding speed. Yesterday, I downloaded a file that was 4.8 MB. I hit the enter key to start the download and received an immediate message that the download was complete. It is a real kick when that happens. Other times it is not nearly that fast.

Direcway puts a cap on the amount that you can download. After downloading approximately 150 MBs they slow your connection down to dial-up. The slow-down can last four to six hours. That means you cannot successfully download the 600+ MB Redhat system with satellite. You will still need a friend that will copy it and sent it to you. Thanks again BB.

I am waiting for DSL or wireless. I will go to the first that is available. Once that happens, I will make my satellite system available at a big discount ($125). Techzonez is not used for selling used gear, but when the time comes I will give Techzonez members the first shot at it.

Thanks EFc for the info,

I will consider it when looking for a plan, and your offer of equipment sales could be tempting

thanks

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---