Thread: CPU Fan

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Lightbulb CPU Fan

I know I talked about this i another thread, but I searched over and over and I couldn't find it. After I changed my case, I found out I out a fan in the wrong direction. I realize this since I changed to an aluminium case, with lots of room, and added 2 fans more (totaling 6 in that moment with the PSU) and the heat level was the same in the other case.
    So I checked my air flows and I found a fan that I put inversed , so the fan next to it will take the hot air out of the case, and this fan would bring it back in.
    Also I noticed the CPU fan extracting the hot air from the heatsink, instead of pushing air to the hotsink, and I was thinking it should be the oppositive.
    Well, I said I was going to to inversed the CPU fan and I flip over the CPU fan (included with the CPU, AMD RETAIL) and what happened?? At first I thought there was no difference, but not I see it runs at 48 when I am away from home (and fans are at high Speed) and 50 when I am using the PC and the fans are reduced. Playing MOHAA the maximum was 51 and I also had eMule working, so there was a lot of writting to disk.
    Basically, it is running 1 degree less (Celcious) and the fans spin at 1000 rpm less average. That is a big difference mostly for Db.
    So, here is my little experiment. Fan blowing air to the CPU work better than extracting.
    Maybe this layout is for more room cramped configurations since the air around would be hot.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Re: CPU Fan

Originally posted by Dehcbad25
    I know I talked about this i another thread, but I searched over and over and I couldn't find it.
    It starts here http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...8572#post28572

Good to see it made a change for the better

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    You could always try Lynchknots ingenious method of using the air conditioning vent to blow cool air directly into your case. In fact, if Japanese homes had air conditioning vents on the floor, I would do it. But unfortunately, we have units that hang on the wall.. they've yet to learn about central heating and air conditioning in Japan

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    hey BB,

couldnt you just get some flexi-duct and pipe from your wall over to your comp? then it would be like Lynch's LOL

How is that going anyway Lynch? do you get much dust/debris/bugs/shrapnel in there?

Dehc, I think the idea of reversing the flow of CPU fan away instead towards the HS was pretty good. Might have failed due to the Push-Pull Idea - easier to push than pull.

Maybe if you used a bigger fan in reverse it would generate enough airflow to remove the heat from the HS.

Good experiment.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Dehc, I think the idea of reversing the flow of CPU fan away instead towards the HS was pretty good. Might have failed due to the Push-Pull Idea - easier to push than pull.
    Generally not a good idea. It's better to pull the (slightly?) cooler case air onto the hs and let it disipate out from the fins removing some of the heat from the fins and cooling them.

One of the factors that tends to be overlooked here is that the CPU cooling fan does more that just cool the heat sink for the CPU. It also provides forced air flow down onto the mother board around the CPU and pushes away heat that collects there. Pulling air across the fins on the heat sink also will not give the desired effect because the fan has a dead spot in the middle of the blades (where the fan hub is located). A cool ambient space is the best way to over come the heat from the system.

Now removing the heat from the case is also a very good way to go. One must be careful here not to create a vortex inside the case by having either to many exhaust fans and not enough supply fans or visa versa.

The idea of the air condition directly into the case is a bad one IMHO. This because if you are not careful you will cause condensation inside the case. Loose water molecules inside my system box, no thank you....

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Tinker brings up a good point. So if you want to run the air conditioning air into your case, you might want to visit this site:

http://www.benchtest.com/condensation.html

That site explains exactly how to determine the condensation point and how to prevent it from forming.

You could even create a buffer box to slow the direct flow of air into the case, so that it picks up temperature before entering the case. A simple plastic container with a towel would most like suffice

You could always get a dehumidifier for your PC room:

Dehumidification
    This method relies on reducing the relative humidity of the air by absorbing the moisture out of it. As the relative humidity drops, the dew point temperature is lowered. Surfaces that were previously below the dew point temperature are now above it and condensation does not occur. Desiccants are used for this and work well in a contained area. Very useful for those of us considering installing their motherboard in a Frigidaire. Less useful when using the typical computer case.

Titanium Member
    I have a bag of desiccant in my box. This house has an electrostatic air filter built into the air conditioner.

Also, I have continuous air flow with inlet/outlet fans. The inlet from my air vent is not placed directly into my PC unless i'm gaming. The vent is 3 inches away from my inlet fan so that I may get some cool air as well.
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 17th, 2003 at 15:17 PM.

Originally posted by Thor
    Generally not a good idea. It's better to pull the (slightly?) cooler case air onto the hs and let it disipate out from the fins removing some of the heat from the fins and cooling them.
    Sorry Thor, thats what I meant, Push is to blow onto CPU and Pull is to do ... the opposite ?? LOL

I agree it is better to blow cool air onto CPU.

Jokingly, you could use some dry-ice (sublimes dry ) as a cold air source. I seen super!computers emersed in it running at 10's of GHz.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

It seems that a simple orientation move of the CPU fan put a lot of brains to work
    About the Airconditioning vent. Humidity is a problem, but dryness is also a problem. You don't want to concentrate too much into humidity that you make the enviroment too dry.
    The fans mainly, because they spin generate ES, and while dryer the enviroment, the more they produce, making the enviroment not really good. I don't remember now how much the the average needed for a PC, but it can be looked.
    I problem with air conditioning is actually that makes the enviroment dry, and not humid. The condensation would be a problem is your PC is too cold, in comparason with the exterior (enviroment temperature)

I was thinking that too Dehc, cos isnt the point of AirConditioners to reduce/remove humidity?? Well you could combat dryness by having water cooling and dont worry about leaks! LOL

Actually, having water cooling CPU would sort of defeat purpose of HSF orientation experiment. You could get one big radiator (miata one should be fine LOL)

Has anyone got experience of water cooling?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I crashed my Taurus not so long ago, so there I have a large radiator to test with