Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with new PC

Titanium Member
    Yeah, now that I still have everything - I should do that. How do you gather all the exe up? Do a search for exe and move it all to another part? Once I do that reformat drive C? I unintalled some stuff I don't need so i'm back to only 33GB
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 19th, 2003 at 14:21 PM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    yeah, you can do a search for the file type .EXE, .ISO, .MP3, .BIN, .ZIP

I usually create a couple folders one for music, movies, software, pictures, etc...

And move them into it.

Then you need to use Partition Magic 8.0 and create a new partition. Maybe half the size of the entire drive. Then simply drag the files over to the new partition.

Then reinstall XP on the existing partition. Just don't get them confused!! Make sure you know which is which. Maybe create a 30gig file partition and leave your main partition at 50GIGs so you know which is which.

Then once you've finished, you should have a file partition and a clean XP partition ready to go.

FORMAT C, AFTER YOU HAVE PARTITIONED THE DRIVE AND MOVED THE FILES OVER TO THE NEW PARTITION.

Titanium Member
    Can I just move the entire, "My documents", for both users and all exe to the one partition - so I will have all my programs?

Titanium Member
    Ok im ready. I had to use the same XP pro disk and product key in the Sony as the Sony recovery disk or XP corporate disk would not work. Will that be a problem? I think the Sony will be mainly for word processing and not online much or if at all.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I always do the repair install if I can.

It saves me the trouble to install everything.

it is the same thing as an upgrade

it will install everything needed for the new motherboard and components.

As big booger stated
    always try to do a fresh install of xp for maximum enjoyment

lynch,

if you are getting slow boots you need to run atomicxp xpantispy and you neen to run bootvis.

sorry to hear about our new computer troubles

customs probably ghosted the drive in mid ship

hehe

ever wonder why most used pc's and harddrive are delayed when crossing boarders?

the xxxfiles
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member
    I used my product key too many times it says and I just did a clean install - what should I do now??????

*edit - why oh why did i reformat - now ive got several hrs of installing -
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 20th, 2003 at 01:59 AM.

YOu have a Pm. Reformats take a long time, but you'll be problem and worry free compared to repairing an installation.

Look at it like this, take the long way now, to get it done right, instead of skimping through it only to find yourself in a pit of troubles later on.

Titanium Member
    Yeah, I know BB - just that I had 33 gb of good stuff - now i've only got 6 gb. Tracking down all the apps and programs is a pain.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Originally posted by lynchknot
    Yeah, I know BB - just that I had 33 gb of good stuff - now i've only got 6 gb. Tracking down all the apps and programs is a pain.
    did you back upi those programs or did they just disapear from the directory?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member

painful as it is, it will make your system run better and most likely will be problem free as compared to a repaired installation.

Piece of advice, once you get all your programs installed, and everything is running in tip top shape, make a disk image of your setup, that way you can restore that image and be with all your installed programs and you don't have to deal with the trouble of reinstalling it all.