Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with new PC

Titanium Member

Talking Help with new PC

Hello. I swapped drives - from Sony to new machine. In add/remove, all I saw that said Intel was the application accel and something else. I then went to IDE controllers and uninstalled everything there. I put the drive in new PC and rebooted to bios - did not see typical bios screen (for sony) but saw the question, "boot with floppy, Hdd, or CD rom. I chose CD rom - there is already disk in - the CD spins but then I get a blue screen telling me to check for virus or take out hard drive - or something like that. Cannot boot from disk - what do you guys think? Luckily I did not install the other drive into the Sony so I just plugged it back into this pc.

Titanium Member

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    lynchknot, you need to boot that new PC, with the Sony Drive in it.

Get into the bios, try continually pressing delete, F2, or ESC. Once in the BIOS you need to select the boot drive order, and change the CDROM to the 1st boot item.

Then you need to stick your XP CD (if it is bootable) in the drive. REboot the new PC. The CDROM should spin up and a screen should say something like:

"Press any key to boot from the CD"

Press any key and follow the on screen instructions.

If you don't get that message, you have two options, Make your XP CD bootable:

http://winxp.bink.nu/bootcd/default.htm

OR

Use the Boot Floppies (you'll need four floppies for this):
    http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...light=bootable

With the boot floppies, you put floppy one in, it reads it, you put floppy 2 in when prompted, until you get to 4, then you put your XP CD and you can boot to the CD and install XP.

Hope that helps.

Titanium Member
    I did all that and it said press any key but when I do I get this message (this is full version XP pro CD)

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses
    Remove any newly installed HD or HD controllers
    Check you HD to make sure it's properly configured or terminated
    Run chkdsk /F to check for HD corruption, then restart

Tech into: stop 0x000000yB......" and so on.....

Titanium Member
    Ok i got it to boot from Cd but then it asks which windows installation would you like to log onto (a one decimal number). How the hell do I know? So I chose 1, then it asks for admin password - huh? what password? So I try all the passwords I use but none work.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Put the drive that came with the pc back in and set it for master and make sure its hooked up on the end of cable, now take the sony drive and look at the back of it and you'll see some jumpers. Put the jumper on the pins for slave and hook the drive up to the connector in the middle of cable.

Ok now when you boot it should boot from the (orig. drive) master. Once inside windows you can access the sony drive (make note of drive #) and get the stuff off that you want to keep. Now go to My Computer and you will see the sony drive, right click and choose format. Choose what type of file system (NTFS or FAT) and do not ! put a check in quick format...let it do the long format cuz it will check for & fix bad sectors on HD.

When format is done just stay in windows and put your XP CD in and when it starts it will ask what you want to do, pick install XP...before it installs it will ask where you (which partition) want to install XP choose the drive # of the new formatted sony drive & let it do it's thing

After XP is installed remove the drives and change the jumper on old sony HD back to master, install boot up and install SP1 & updates, drivers and what ever.

FG pointed you to one way albeit a very long way, in solving this quandry. Though without fail his advice is sound and will work. You should be able to boot the CD, with the SONY drive installed as master, format the drive from the XP installer.

Lynchknot it sounds to me like you chose to repair the current installation. You want to format the drive, so after pressing any key to boot from the CD, you go through the process of letting it load the setup files, pressing F8 at the Eula, deciding to format the drive using either the NTFS or FAT32 partitioning method (i recommend NTFS).

What it sounds like to me with the options you have chosen is that you are trying to repair your current installation, which is impossible.

When you boot from the CD, choose to install XP on a partition, and then choose FORMAT the partition.

I shall point you to a resource that you will find very handy and convenient in this situation:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/O...tallxppro1.htm

Hope that helps.

Titanium Member
    Fastgame I have no idea what you are saying. Yes I was trying to repair so that I can keep everything. If I have to format and lose it all, I might as well keep this one and save up for another drive in the future. That was the main reason for swapping drives, aside from the fact it's bigger, all my stuff is on it. It's a 40gb maxtor though, but I think it's faster than the Sony one (7200rpm)

I wonder why my temps are 41F and 131F?
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 19th, 2003 at 04:12 AM.

Originally posted by Big Booger
    FG pointed you to one way albeit a very long way, in solving this quandry.
    How dare you ...hehe

Aside from changing jumpers on the HD it's faster not "very long way" you see that 80gig HD will format faster in Windows than it will from a booted XP CD...tested many times by FG himself after that everything is the same.

Anyhoo I gave this cuz it's an easy way to install XP that doesn't boot

Titanium Member
    How do I know where to put the jumpers - is it marked?

*edit - I looked at the back and there are 4 rows of pins - they are not marked.

Titanium Member
    Why cannot do this? I follow instructions.

FastGame wrote on Yesterday 22:03 PM:
    Does your XP CD boot ? if so then before you take the HD out of sony go to add & remove...unistall any & all Intel drivers/software. It will say needs to reboot to finish uninstall choose no, now go to device manager & click on IDE ATA controliers and unistall the IDE drivers Pri & Sec...it will say needs to reboot to finsh unistall this time say ok & let it shut down computer but ! make sure when it reboots that you turn off computer before it boots into windows !!!

Remove drive & put in new comp. Now go into bios and make the DVD/CD-rom your first boot device...put XP cd in the drive then exit & save changes in bios. the CD will boot & ask what you want to do...choose repair XP, let it do it's thing and once done install SP1 and drivers for mb. You will need some of the XP updates so go get um. All your stuff should still be on HD & working as before

LK you forgot one important part....before i gave u that i said if both the XP's are the same type...like Home....Pro...you can't do a repair on XP home with a XP pro cd, also where is the rest of what I said...like backing up you stuff in case it doesn't work ? and that the worst that can happen is you'll still need a clean install of XP ??

I have gone from DELL, HP, VIA to Intel, INTEL to VIA, VIA to NF2 all using XP repair and it worked everytime but 1 time had to do clean install....maybe sony is strange ?

Do what BB said & be done with it
    Last edited by FastGame; June 19th, 2003 at 05:08 AM.

Lynch is your sony drive one partition ? if so do you have Partition Magic ?

If you have one partition & Partition Magic make a new partition and move all the data you want to keep over to the new partition.

Then do as BB suggest, boot XP CD, format C: drive, install XP then after your done with SPI, updates & drivers move all your data back over to the new XP. you will also need to re-install your programs.

I'm sorry I got you so messed up but you will be better after........
    Last edited by FastGame; June 19th, 2003 at 05:30 AM.

Titanium Member
    Hehehe - i'm not sure what I did but I have the Sony drive in and i'm writing this now and everything is intact. I did not lose a thing!!!!!!! - except for vid card driver -

For some reason, I do not see the little monitors that shows you are connected

*edit - what I think happend is I went a step further and said ok to install windows but then it asked me again if I wanted to repair so I said ok - then it copied some files and rebooted then windows set up started and did it's thing and then I put in reg key - then wanted me to register online but I said later - then when windows appeared again I saw my log on name and same avatar! so I entered my usual password and WOW - I saw my usual desktop! Nothing changed but my log on screen.

One thing though - it takes much longer to start up my programs (sys tray - like NAV, Sygate, etc...) Why is this? Is it because I deleted application accelerator?

*edit - ok I lost ability to theme windows - need to hack again

*edit again - I guess I need sp1 cause there are 30 critical updates!
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 19th, 2003 at 07:18 AM.

lynch you should have went the clean install way..

Well any hoot, you got it somewhat figured out..
    but I think you are going to have some problems in the future associated with choosing to do a repair rather than a clean install.
    Good luck with that. You're gonna need it.

FG's Partition Magic suggestion hit it on the money. that is exactly what I'd do. Break that 80 gig into two 40 gig partitions, move only executables, isos, mp3s, zips etc..
    don't move any system folders, program folders, installed apps etc.... back up all the files you want to save then format the other 40gig partition, and follow the instructions

I bet you'll need to do it shortly but then again you may have luck and not have to.. time will tell.