Thread: New build going south (PSU failure on first start)

New build going south (PSU failure on first start)

I put the finishing touches on a system I have slowly been getting pieces for over the last few months. After getting everything together I plugged the PSU in and immediately it started to smoke and the PC just started to beep.

I don't have a system I can switch the components into to test individually, but I did have another PSU available. Lights, fans and everything seems to operate, but I don't get a POST only a repetitive beep from the system speaker, which doesn't seem like a code.. more like a loop. I've had things go wrong before, but never a PSU like this. What's the potential that things (m'board, CPU, memory and etc.) got hosed? I am RMA'ing the PSU for sure and I need to try and iron out the rest.

My basic setup is this:
    Smoking PSU : Powmax LP6100A
    M'board: Albatron-KX400-8X Pro
    512 MB Corsair XMS DDR 2700
    AMD XP 2400+ (retail)
    Albatron Ge4 ti 4280
    Liteon 52x24x52
    Maxtor 40G HDD
    Floppy

I am a bit lost here, any help appreciated. I guess my next step is to use my known good PSU (in the PC I'm typing this on) and remove items and see if I can get some sort of life. Comments... Suggestions??

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    As you say,the first thing to try is your other PSU.

If you still get the continuous beep using the spare PSU,check that the CPU fan is correctly connected to the CPU fan header.Check that the RAM is properly seated,(faulty/unseated RAM can cause continuous beeps).And also re-seat the vid card.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I actually used the good PSU last night and still I get the same thing, minus the smoking PSU of course. I am going to pull the board out tonight and run it with the bare essentials and see if I find what else is wrong. I am thinking the PSU may have damaged something, wish I had a system to swap parts with for this one.

I also reseated the processor, memory and vid-card... still nothing.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    One other thing you could check is the motherboard mountings.

Make sure the board is not shorting out on the case.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Good call on the shorting, that's one thing I hope to rule out when I run it out the case tonight.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Also you might want to double check the leads for power,reset,board speaker,etc for the right continuity (+,-) position.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

No luck in running my m'board outside of the case. My guess at this point is that if nothing else, my m'board is not functioning as it should.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I hope you didnt fry your MB when the PSU failed?? Sometimes they can send a bolt of Volts (?) down into the MB and fry ram, Vid, and rest of parts. Need to check those out, if you havent already.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Since I didn't have a system on hand I could swap parts with I have rma'd all the major components, except the vcard. My guess is that a few of the major components got zapped. I'm still waiting for all but the memory which got turned around in record time.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hope everything comes back ok, Let us know if you still get errors with brand new parts. Would be interesting to find this little bug

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---