Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rack Servers,

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Exclamation Rack Servers,

okay i need some help here guys im in the market for a Dedicated Server that i can upgrade a bit, and has a Rack Design

Toshiba Magnia SG20 Wireless Mobility Server
    Full-featured wireless networking!
    Not much larger than a Toshiba notebook, the Magnia SG20 Wireless Mobility Server is small enough to fit into a briefcase, powerful enough to connect your entire office or home and light enough to take anywhere. This powerful, reliable and compact network server provides integrated wireless capability and a built-in 7-port switch to bring you the efficiency, wireless connectivity and data security of a wireless network for your remote office, business, school or home — and at a cost-effective price. It comes complete with a firewall, file/print sharing, Internet and printer gateway, Web caching, content filtering, backup capabilities, e-mail services and remote administration and offers simple, automatic, Web-based setup and network configuration.
    A Portable Wireless Server. The Magnia SG20 provides a secure, firewall-protected network for e-mail, information sharing and Internet access, so you can take your office with you anywhere.

Facilitates smooth, fast and easy setups and demos for presentations or trade shows
    Manages on-site access from multiple PCs to customer, pricing and ordering information
    Enables authorized users to connect to data — wired or wirelessly — via PCs or PDAs
    A Standalone Wireless Network. For a small business, branch office or remote office, it provides shared Internet access to everyone at the same time via broadband or the Magnia SG20’s built-in modem.
    Easy-to-use Virtual Private Networking (VPN) provides secure remote access for authorized users
    Centralized storage and secure backup of critical data
    Remote management for IT administrators
    Built-in firewall protects against Internet intrusion
    A Low-Cost, Entry-Level Solution. The Magnia SG20 provides an ideal platform for Linux® software application developers to deploy a value-added, turnkey solution – a complete “network in a box”.
    Easily integrate and develop industry-specific applications
    Comprehensive engineering support for system integrators
    A Mobile Solution for Classrooms. Using the Magnia SG20, teachers and instructors can store class information, lessons and more in one convenient, secure location for easy and efficient classroom technology management.
    Mobile computer lab that can be moved from classroom to classroom
    Great for all levels of learning — from K-12 education to corporate training
    A No-Cable Network for Home Use. With the Magnia SG20, everyone in your household can share one printer, backup important files easily and access the same information — whether from a desktop PC, notebook or Mac®.
    Built-in Digital Central™ applications manage digital pictures/videos and MP3 music files, home automation and home video security
    Optional system Health Monitoring Service (HMS) allows the Magnia SG20 to stay up and running
    The Magnia SG20 Wireless Media Center is easy to maintain and use, even for networking beginners
    Features:

566MHz Intel® Celeron® processor
    128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM
    One EIDE controller
    20GB 4200 RPM hard drive
    Ethernet WAN Port (10/100 auto-sensing) and 56K modem for connecting to your Internet service provider
    One-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
    Operating system based on Red Hat Version 7.0
    Note: 11Mbps Wireless PC Card (sold separately) required for wireless connectivity.

Product Description:
    Toshiba Magnia SG20 - web server

Device Type:
    Web server

Enclosure Type:
    External

Dimensions (WxDxH):
    13.4 in x 10.6 in x 2.7 in

Weight:
    11 lbs

Processor:
    1 x Intel Celeron 566 MHz

RAM Installed ( Max ):
    128 MB ( 512 MB )

Hard Drive:
    20 GB x 1 - IDE/ATA

Ports Qty:

Data Link Protocol:
    Ethernet, Fast Ethernet

Remote Management Protocol:
    SNMP

Communication Mode:
    Half-duplex, full-duplex

Protocols & Specifications:
    ITU V.90

Features:
    Uplink, firewall protection, 128-bit encryption, auto-sensing per device, DHCP support, NAT support, manageable

Power:
    AC 100/240 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Manufacturer Warranty:
    1 year warranty
    Last edited by shadow_warez; June 26th, 2003 at 12:04 PM.

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    did you get what you were looking for??

im waiting

i was hoping some Server Gurus could look this over and tell me what they think, becasue i really like the idea of a Rack Server, and making it Host my WEbsite, Run Ftp servers and a nice http Server,

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Don't know much bout rack servers...anyone else?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    got me. whats a rack server

OK, I live 9 hours around servers, and looking at HOW OLD they are, and waste more time online dreaming about the servers out there.
    It is a nice idea, the first one that I saw in that category. IT is cheap for the idea, but I don't think it is what you want.
    This one is in order to take it with you, like a laptop version for a server (without keyboard, mouse and video of course).
    I think you would be better in other solutions since they provide more performance.
    Look at the HDD, I bet it is a notebook HDD.
    The one you posted rounds up for 1400$
    IT is OK for the small form factor, if that is what you need.
    If you can afford more space, and are not going to be moving around, there are better solutions out there

I looked for another alternatives.
    Look at this You have 400 left to upgrade to update to a 1.26 PIII with 512 KB Cash, 256 MB RAM (1 stick, so have room to upgrade to 512) and 120 GB 7200 rpm.
    It might not have the more fancy features that Toshiba has, but reality check, it is Linux, OPEN SOURCE!!!!
    I do recomend with all this servers (including ToSHIBA) strong backups of important data. Remember you are dealing with EIDE, not SCSI.
    If you want a real server, and strong one, build it yourself. We did that in my previous job, with only 7000 $ we got an impresive configuration, I am talking a TB in raid 1+0 configuration (8 250 GB drives), redundant power supply, DUAL Athlon MP 2200 +.
    IF you like, I can look for server components to put it together yourself. Though in this case, be prepared to reserve quite some place for the server..

PS: The smaller the form factor the more $ you have to pay. This goes more in server components

Exclamation lol

well i like the portable Idea, and its goin to be hostin a ftp,http, servers, like doin some web hosting, this i liked because of the size(Rack Size) and the specs are a bit slow, but im sure it can be upgraded a lil,but if you can find something thatsi na Rack Size youd be Godly lol, i want somethign i can mod hehe im thinking of find a amd Soltion so ican throw a Volcano 11 on it lol, and some Passive Ram HEat Spreaders,

The Toshiba one I don't think is very upgradable. And the cost of the HDD is great if you upgrade. Maybe you will be able to add RAM and that is about it. If you want to mod it, I wouldn't recomend it because you are paing for a top brand and its support, which you will automatically VOID.
    Rack doesn't mean the size, but rather the layout, making them possible to mount in racks for easy access. If you don't have racks, don't get them because you will have to have them laying around somewhere, and in some cases this will cut ventilations. Some Rack servers have ventilations below and above, requiring space, rangin from 1 U to 2 U and even 4 U.
    PowerEdge server for example need 2Us between server because of cooling. Though they don't nevesarily need the rack, since the come rack/tower version (pretty neat design alowing either config)
    U??? What is that you are talking Dehcabd25??
    A U is the space between a point of connection to the next in the rack. Most racks have a standar layout, which means that they have he same with and hight between similar connectors, this is usually every 3 pins of holes. You will notice that in a rack, the holes in the side (to screw and support the server or trays) don't have all the same space, but it is more like a set (of 3 usually) that set makes a U
    Blade servers are usually 1 or 2 U maximun. Bigger servers are 4 U. Netservers from HP and similar cant take up to 8 U and are VERY HEAVY. FYI PowerEdge 4600 are 6 U and they require 2 people to lift it ( or a very strong one, which I am not, hummm.. well still you want 2 people, if you drop it toguth sh%$^ since they are quite expensive).
    So Rack servers doesn't mean at all small. Actaully the rack were designed because these servers are quite big, so with the arms you can easily work on the server to do maintenance.
    I cannot imagine myself doing maintenance in the Netservers LH 3000 r unmounted It would take me forever
    I did a search in price watch and look for more servers. You will find there much cheaper solutions. They will come in tower server format, like 10 bays or more desktop style. IF you want to mod it, that will make more sense. Since it is for personal use (OK, WEB and FTP) you might want to consider this., IT is expandable, giving you room to grow, and in the long and short run it will be cheaper.
    An already made server (like the Toshiba) will give you a lot for the buck, if you really need mobility of the server (but then it won't be that useful as FTP and WEB) and for more cluster style networks. Why?? Well, for sure it will be alerady configure to do all this, and it will have lots of tools to help you out.
    If you are a good Linux user, you can configure your tools yourself thougt. There is a lof available out there. Freshmeat.com has a lot of in development tools, but doing some search online you can find finished products too.
    OK, RESUMEN (in short)
    1)IF you are a Linux's poweruser, or brave enought configure and install your OS, if not get it already installed and configured, and then learn to use it. This will also save you time to be up and runing.
    2) If you want support, you can look in the Toshiba solution, Dell, (HP is too expensive) Compaq Pro Liant, Acer Altos, IBM x(number), but you will find them expensive, so you will probably go to the low-end of their solution. And honestely, looking at the numbers, I don't think they could provide a better server solution than my own PC (I can sell you mine, without support )
    3) if size matters then the Toshiba is the nicest solution because it is portable. The rest would be rack mountable 1U making them flat, but large (like a tray) so they are not portable, and unless you are getting a rack, and are thinking into getting a bunch of these, I don't see the point.
    4) Size is not the problem. Why care if it is your basement and not the datacenter?? then go for TOWER SERVER based. IT will be cheaper in many ways. Because you can easily upgrade, and you are not tied to specific products or size (Try fitting a 200 GB in the Toshiba ) and they will also have the cheapest configuration and most availability.

My final recomendation would be pricewatch.com, look for a server in tower format solution, don't care the brand, but care about the brand components (you want it to be stable), use EIDE RAID 5 at least, because your drives will FAIL. but don't get into expensive drives. 40 GB would be fine, because in 3 years when all of them fail, you will replace your server, or all the drives with 200 GB (which will be very cheap then) Chose drives very available, thought I doubt you iwll find them in 2 years, but if you had RAID, at least when one drive dies, you can buy a new set again (better, faster) and take a backup ( to a stand alone drive maybe), and rebuild your system. At this time you might have even a better machine laying around to server a paralel server, or similar hardware even
    Take in consideration than desktop components advance faster than server ones, and desktops compoents are dirt cheap.
    This project is to take with a friend, because it will take a lot of your time, mostly if your server goes down, but if you don't need 24/7 stricly is a good project.
    IT all depends mainly what you are looking for, and how serious you are. The more serious, the more $$ you have to invert, and servers are not cheap

iv tryed em

their site dont work i get a blue sreen wit a few words, but i found another place, heres what iv come up with so far,

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/shad...web_server.jpg

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    There's a bit of info for ya there shadow

hehe yeah

i just built a new one with a Tower Case saved about $142 and im Pretty Sure Duel 2800+ Athalon MPs will really kick some Azz in Dedicated Gaming,FTP,HTTP,Web Hosting, what do you think of thie server iv Thrown Togther ?

that looks like a more suitable server.
    I see that you went for the rack style. review
    Dual MP 2800 will rock.
    One recomendation, the HDD you want is 7200 rpm if possible, and 8 MB cash if you have web server, since it will access a lot the cash. This will help you having more I/Os per second, therefore, more request. That HDD makes good choice
    You have a total 4 GB registered only DDR there, 2 slots for 64 bit/66 Mhz PCI cards and USB 2.0 Review for mobo
    What about a RAID card?? and 2 more drives to go to RAID 5???
    AS I said, I don't know how much importance you are giving to the data on that server, but at least 5 will give you some stripping and secure point.
    Do you have the rack to mount it too??
    Consider the weight it is 17.5 Kgs according to the spec sheet

its in a tower case now

ill post that pic, it wasl iek $142 less, and FG is sending Serial ata adpaters,

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/shad...web_server.jpg

new Specs, raid 5 would be nice but for now i wouldnt mind gettin this system from this then work on gettin a Raid Setup,

Well, it is going to be a good set up, and that case will give you enought room to grow. I have a similar one but Chieftec. Nice case. I like the removable hard drive trays.
    What OS you are going to use??