Thread: XMS Memory

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

XMS Memory

What is the difference?
    XMS (extended Memory Speed)

http://www.gup.co.jp/products/corsair/index_xms.html

Site is in Japanese, but I saw that XMS and they have regular memory.. what is the difference? Is this faster? better quality?

What gives?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I think that "XMS" is a Corsair naming thing...

Corsair is one of if not the best ram on the market! All chips on Corsair are select grade yields from the chip maker, tested by Corsair too meet and or exceed the highest standards of todays ram. The PCB on Corsair is of the same high standard

Corsair, Kingston HyperX. Geil, Mushkin are makers of fast CAS2 ram with a optimized SPD.

So is there a difference between say XMS DDR and just DDR if they are both from Corsair?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Originally posted by FastGame
    I think that "XMS" is a Corsair naming thing...

Corsair is one of if not the best ram on the market! All chips on Corsair are select grade yields from the chip maker, tested by Corsair too meet and or exceed the highest standards of todays ram. The PCB on Corsair is of the same high standard

Corsair, Kingston HyperX. Geil, Mushkin are makers of fast CAS2 ram with a optimized SPD.
    So FG,if you have say,Kingston Hyper X or one of the other fast CAS2 rams then is there a setting in the bios that can be tweaked on the newer mobo bios's.To lazy to look right now but I thought I saw something in the bios on my Asus A7N8x.What is SPD?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Here is the Final word from the GURU of Hardware (MUA)
    (Actually, I look for it on google)
    XMS for Corsair means eXtreme Memory Speed

XMS, or eXtreme Memory Speed, is the process that Corsair uses to take ICs rated at one speed and verify/guarantee their operation at another speed. Since specifications have not been generated to accurately specify operating parameters, Corsair gives these parts an XMS rating. For example, since PC2400 does not exist according to any valid standards institution, Corsair parts are called XMS2400.
    Here is the XMS Qualification and Testing from Corsair itself.
    I think this will make it clear.
    Enjoy!!!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Originally posted by zipp51
    So FG,if you have say,Kingston Hyper X or one of the other fast CAS2 rams then is there a setting in the bios that can be tweaked on the newer mobo bios's.To lazy to look right now but I thought I saw something in the bios on my Asus A7N8x.What is SPD?
    "SPD" stands for serial presence detect. SPD RAM has a small chip on the memory module that stores information about the module's data width, size, speed, error detection & correction, and voltage. When you set your bios to SPD it uses this information to set the buss speed and ram timings, voltage for you automaticaly.

In your bios you would use Expert or User Defined to tweak the ram's timings/voltage to those settings other than the SPD. Most of the high performance ram on the market already has an optimized SPD & the only tweaking that may be needed is too slow the ram down (relaxed timings) to get it working on some boards, it would be a rare case too speed it up.

@BB, yes the Corsair XMS (CAS2) ram is faster than the non-XMS (CAS2.5) ram.

Thanks for the info and for the clarifications