Thread: Make WinXP Shutdown faster

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Make WinXP Shutdown faster

Load up regedit (Start -> Run -> regedit) and follow this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control. From there find the WaitToKillServiceTimeOut string. Change its data from 20000 (default) to something lower like 10000 or even 5000. Please keep in mind that the computer value used here is milliseconds. After that's done close regedit and reboot your computer.

After this change has been made, your computer will shut down much faster!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    It does...but I find it can lead to system instability and programs not shuting down correctly...resulting in lost work

Previously I have tried that tweak with no problems, however after a few months my system began to break. IMO you're better off utilising XPs Hibernate feature if you have problems with the above reg tweak.

Jusy my 2c

well, yes. Thought, you have to be moderate how much you give it. There are soem apps that will take a long time not matter what (ICQ in my case). So, as always you have to be moderate in the number that you give it. Not too little, not too big. MS number is to give extreme plenty of time, for the snails applications too, resulting in large waiting times.
    It could be fun to try it out at numbers like 1 Thought that for sure will DESTROY your system. It would be like: "Welcome back to the MS W98 world!!!"

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    1 second would be sweet. A super quick shutdown

If only there was a way to kill Outlook during a shutdown. My PC never shutsdown if outlook is left open. Always comse back with a message about requiring Outlook to be closed before PC is shutdown. Why cant it just do it automatically??

I don't know the details, but I know it doesn't close it because it is a M$ product, and they take care of themselves

PS: REv, if you are reading this, have you thought about adding a spellchecker?????

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Thanks Dehc, i just reformatted, and was looking for this tweak everywhere!

10000 seemed fine so far, 20k was way too long.

ps. A sppel checker would be hevaen! LOL

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

PS: REv, if you are reading this, have you thought about adding a spellchecker?????
    If you use IE here's a free one for you.

ieSpell - A Spell Checker for Internet Explorer
    Introduction
    ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.

The program installs as a new button in the IE toolbar (as well as a new menu item under "Tools") - after filling in a form, just hit the ieSpell button and it pops up a dialog, similar to the MS Word spell check.

ieSpell is not spyware or adware. Its free for personal use only. All other use requires a commercial license. See Licensing for more information.

If you find ieSpell useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation. Your donations will help to support its future development. Thank you!

http://www.iespell.com/

Talking

Super quick shutdown: pull the plug.
    Eating a lightbulb relishing on the procrastination of the rationalization of the disestablishment movement in the 1800s in Europe whence then was egotistical bastards were not unintelligently lived to see their timely undeaths in a very non-ungroovy way.

Titanium Member
    I don't know why but mine was set at 200 - maybe why I was getting splash screens showing "ending program" or "program unresponsive" when shutting down.

200?? Man, that is awfully low. IT wouldn't give time to any program to close. That would be the equivalent of kill_all command of Linux, and in Windows, you were probably "Killing" the programs LOL

Thor: using ieSpell Checker now. Thanks a bunch for the link

Originally posted by Dehcbad25

Thor: using ieSpell Checker now. Thanks a bunch for the link
    Your welcome. Very handy for forums.

Indeed, I had been using it a lot. I think it made it to my MUST HAVE APP list
    I forgot to use it in the previous post

It certainly is a 'must have'.